Rotoscope

Bodine

Sonic expert
Jan 25, 2009
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
I've always wanted to make movies. Ever since I was a kid. Now I have a really good idea for one and I'm going to see this through the end. You never know, maybe this will make me a Hollywood director some day, like I've always dreamed about.
Well for this film I saw an opportunity in the art of rotoscope, like the movie A Scanner Darkly. It would break away a lot of limitations I'd have doing a regular film. With help from a little 3D modeling, the possibilities are endless.

I was just wondering if anybody knew how long it would take? I understand rotoscoping is a very, very time consuming process, tracing over each frame of the movie.

Rotoscoping is in A LOT of films, but I assume you mean "fully" rotoscoped films. A Scanner Darkly was aided by computer software for the graphic artists in charge of tracing. Same software was used for the Charles Schwab commercials.

I don't know how long it takes, but more than one artist is usually needed for rotoscoping over the entirety of all scenes. If you want "A Scanner Darkly"-style work, it might not happen since it was assisted by privately-owned computer software. Rotoscoping basic stuff, though (like the lightsaber in Star Wars), really does open up some avenues for you, since you would only be tracing certain things. But again, I don't know how long it takes, nor its accessibility as a film technique for nonprofessionals.

Last edited:
I've seen rotoscope work (just short clips) done on programs like Illistrator that look pretty close to A Scanner Darkly. I plan on getting more people to help out with it.

a basic scene(rotoscoped) of around ten seconds could take around 2-3 months if you have at least 5-7 people that know what their doing.

we did a project for a computer class last year. took us longer cause we only had 2 hours a day but that should be a rough estimate of time

Back