Movie Section?

Squall7

A li'l bit different
May 17, 2006
Cornwall, UK
Wii Online Code
8420-0141-9022-6948
I was wandering, if there's enough call for it, how about a film/movies sub-section in the 'off topic' section?

I would love to be a moderator for it as well, as I'm currently studying Film BA(Hons), and I think we all know that there have been many crossovers between games and films (both successful and not successful).

I would like to start off by saying that I mostly like some of the films based on games, as a gamer at least. Although a few have proved a little disappointing. I think the main problem is, is that directors tend to change aspects of games to suit movies, thus playing to the mainstream (which doesn't always work) whilst sacrificing the gamer.

Resident Evil - The original was quite good, though I would have prefered a storyline closer to the games. The second one suffered quite a bit, as it was soo jam packed that it seemed too 'bitty'. Suffered in a similar way to the Mortal Kombat film.

Silent Hill - Brilliant film if you're a fan of the games, as it used parts of the storyline, as well as certain characters like Cybil Bennet and Dhalia Gilespie. Also loved the used of the soundtrack and style. One movie that doesn't disappoint it's gamer fanbase.

Final Fantasy - Spirits Within was a good film (IMHO), it's just that it wasn't what anyone was expecting. People were expecting the kind of excitement that even the FMV's in the games provided, but failed because it used too much storytelling. The CG work on it was amazing though. Advent Children was also very good. The fight scenes especially were typical OTT Japanese style, physics defying feats. Also, the storyline was not too bad either.

Mortal Kombat - The first film had it all, including Christopher Lambert (Of Highlander fame). It had fatalities, good action fight scenes, detailed and in-depth storyline and most of all, atmosphere. The sequel was a bit of a flop though, as they tried to cram in two games (if you're just counting MK2 and MK3, rather than UMK3 and Trilogy - and to a certain extent MK4). I quite liked it, cos I'm a fan of the games, and it did try to contain most of the characters, even if in extremely limited screen time. Personally, I would've prefered this film in two seperate parts. Also, long awaited finale to the 'trilogy' is not looking like it's going to happen. Pity really.

Mario Bros - Haven't seen this in years. Seems like a kids comedy film, too based upon our reality rather than the familiar adventures in Mushroom Kingdom.

Tomb Raider - Wasn't particularly interested in the games, let alone in the film. The big thing that I liked is that it co-stared Chris Barrie of Red Dwarf fame.

Street Fighter - In no way can this movie be considered 'good'. It is cheesy as hell, and it's a pity it was Raul Julia's last film before passing away (Gomez from Adams Family). Even this is better!
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI5aipSv0RU[/MEDIA]

--Not seen Doom, DOA, Bloodrayne or any others, so if you have seen them, please leave a little comment--

Hopefully this sparks off some interest, as it's an area that does actually go fairly hand-in-hand with games (even if not specifically the Wii)

Also, this article on wikipedia is especially relevant here: Wikipedia: Films based on games

Last edited:
Back