Router Help

Zori

Wii Owner Since Launch
Oct 31, 2006
I searched but could not find any one with a problem like mine.
I currently have a WIRED router hooked up to my computer and going to my bros comp. My friend let me have his wireless router to try out for my Wii. Now I am pretty clueless. I want to keep my Wired router there and just also hook up the wireless. There is no room on the back of my PC for another ethernet cable. My wired router has a "4-Port Switch", and 2 of those ports in the back are open. #1 and #4. I was wondering if perhaps I could use those to get my wireless connected? I've tried them both and it hasn't worked but I thought maybe with some guided configuration it might? My Wii can always sense the signal, now I just need to get it connected. Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: My wired router is a Linksys, My Wireless is a Netgear Model ME 102 if that helps.

Last edited:
You may need to connect the wireless router to the existing router via a crossover cable. Your local Frys, RadioShack, or other geek store should know what a crossover cable is.

Oh alright thanks, by the way this seems like it may be important. My friend didn't have the CD for the routers software so I installed it from HERE

Routers don't NEED software to run. The software exists only to help you configure the router. IOW, it's not really important.

Some Pics...

wiredrouter.jpg

wired router im currently using
wirelessrouter.jpg

The Wireless Router, not sure what goes in the console place. Since the Main Power Cord and The Following Cables are all he gave me.
connectorcable.jpg

Is this possibly the connector cables you were talking about? Cuz all I got was this from him...

I wouldn't be able to tell from your pics. You'll either need to look for the word crossover or you'll need to take it to a store where a knowledgeable networking person could identify it. Probably easier to just buy one...they're cheap.

Don't worry about the console port (which btw is a USB port.)

Last edited:
If you'd like. (just to make things really easy) try this method:

Take that cable your friend gave you and plug it in both your wired and wireless routers. Then set your wireless router to ONLY BROADCAST. In doing this the wireless router won't change any of your settings but merely send a signal out, you can also edit anything you'd like with the wireless later on.

Once that's all done you should be good to go, turn on your Wii and do a search for wireless signals.

Let me know what happens, I'll try to hang around here a bit more.

It's gotten a bit too flooded with people imo.

Back