The Best Wiiware

DBloke

An ancient one, banner of over a thousand acunts
Staff member
May 30, 2006
Super Mancyland
Wii Online Code
8041-7231-3447-6164
Not my words. Someone else's. Just thought id copy paste it here (with credit) as we seem to be lacking a whats good and not Wiiware post.

The following statement contains opinions..

Ok so I pretty much played every wiiware title now, most of them were garbage so quickly sifted through them.. Im not a fan of puzzle games so if you are you may like titles like Dr Mario and Tetris Party, but they werent for me. I am a 2d platformer man through and through, but I love other genres of game too (adventure games and some shoot-em-ups & racing games for example)

Anyway to cut to the chase here are the very best Wiiware Games..

Bit.Trip Runner - I thought the diffulty level in this would p*ss me off a treat but it doesnt, its fantastic and highly addictive. Not for the faint hearted, this is hardcore platforming.
Jett Rocket - A Shameless Mario Galaxy clone but I prefer this as I hated the spinning, upside down annoyance of Mario's levels.
Castlevania Rebirth - A great update to the classic, I was going to leave it out due to there being no saving game, but theres an easy level select code (up to where you have got to)
Gradius Rebirth - great horizontal shmup, does what it says on the tin.
Art of Balance - A really good puzzler where you pile a set amount of items without them falling over, addictive and relaxing (kind of) - also 2 player vs mode
Zombie Panic in Wonderland - Great 'Cabal' style game, great fun and has 2 player co-op! Get this!
High Voltage Hot Rod Show - random one, but a great fun racing game, a cross between RC Pro AM (NES) and Micro Machines - give it a shot
Megaman 9 & 10 - If you like the original NES games (as I do) then these are a must
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - Great platformer where you can manipulate background objects as well as controlling the main character
Dive The Medes Island's Secrets - Laid back 2d exploration game where you guide your diver around underwater caverns looking for treasure, good fun to play and thereare secrets and upgrades for those who like a bit of meat of their gaming bones!
Driift Mania - SImple and fun old skool 2d racer that is enjoyable with multiple players.

Games that were spoilt by minor issues or were not just to my particular tastes:

Bubble Bobble Plus - now there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this but Bub & BOb and the enemies look awful, why did they change the cute graphics into these horrible render pseudo 3d horrors? It is Bubble Bobble per say, but it's better to play the arcade original on MAME if you have that to hand.
Cave Story I couldn't recommend this, despite its popularity, as I just dont like it, I just never got into it. The annoying small graphics and pointless story irritated me. But if you enjoy exploration platformers give it a try, you may enjoy it.
Bomberman Blast - Was never a huge bomberman fan, but used to enjoy some of the older titles in small doses. Played this multiplayer and just found it a manic pain in the ass to play. Maybe with 2 or 4 players it would be less chaotic and therefore more fun. Give it a try and see.
Lost Winds - I also didn't rate this very much either, I just didn't enjoy waggling the remote around to move my character using the wind, not my bag at all. Much like I Disliked 'A Boy & His Blob' and A Shadow's Tale.. Just fiddly platformers that are slow paced and ruined by gimmicks that make the game dull to play.

Also World of Goo is highly praised but I found that boring too, I much prefered the above-mentioned Art of Balance..

Games that should have been good but SUCK BALLS:

Adventure Island the Beginning - I LOVE the original 3 NES games but this was trash, horrible graphics, annoying music, and just feels wrong . AVOID like the plague.
Rainbow Islands : Towering Adventure - Awful Awful Awful .. an absolute abomination. What were they thinking???
Contra Rebirth - Loved the Snes Contra 3, but hated this, just seemed empty, and while its hard as f*ck the levels are very short, disappointing
Robox - Metroidvania I heard.. No map you say?, sluggish, boring, and frustrating I say.. yes
Pearl Harbor - Episode 1: Red Sun Rising - thought this would be great fun but you cant do a roll in the air and so the enemies always seem to remain behind you and out of shot, a wasted opportunity.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I - Now Im no fan of Sonic but I kind of enjoyed the first one on MD, this game is ruined by the awful sonic physics, why is he so sluggish??
Blaster Master Overdrive - Now I know some people will disagree on this one but I really liked the NES original and so was looking forward to this, but it was a huge disappointed, the 'updated' music sounded naff and the level design was poor. Another Disappointment.

so there you go, a proper 2d retro fan's guide to wiiware, most of it is cr*p so chose the above and you will be alright.. Oh and just go out and get Donkey Kong Country Returns as it is the best game since the SNES one!!!
Copy pasted from ChipTunes post on Retro Gamer forum

hes rigt aout the ones that are good minus jet rocket. That sucks and the chracter is annoying. Megaman and Cavestory wee good. Lost winds was good too. virtual console is way better though.

Well you lot are free to post any that you like as well. Ill add them to the op

Oh Ok.

Well Super Smash bros brings back really good memory's about the Nintendo 64 and all the old graphics that will make your shoes come flying right off.

Hows that? XD

Thats Virtual Console game.

This topic aint about them

lolz it was just a guess... XD

hmmmm.... ima keep thinking of one :)

what about Pokemon Rumble?

Pokemon Rumble is all about the game Rumbling on the controller when attacking a another Pokemon it mostly Rumbles in the Colosseum.

Last edited:
Jet Rocket sucks big time (and I only played the Demo (enough for noticing it was a pile of s**t))
And Cave story was fun

And Kindred Spirits is Overrated

And World of Goo is not that boring

@IKKIKoopa

Super Smash Bros was very fun. I still play that game when my friends come over. I always laugh. When I have a bob-omb my friend run's away and I kill him in a hilarious way. And it always cracks me up if the CPU makes a suicide. Still have to unlock the item switch though...

I don't think Cave Story is worth the 1,200 Wii Points ($12), Fluidity although somewhat fun isn't either and neither is Yet It Moves (Also Fun).

I just checked the Wii Shop Channel, its showing Cave Story as a 1,200 Point Priced Game.

I don't think Cave Story is worth the 1,200 Wii Points ($12), Fluidity although somewhat fun isn't either and neither is Yet It Moves (Also Fun).
I have played all three demos, but only Fluidity convinced me to buy. I have found Fluidity to be worth far more than $12. It is by far one of the best games I have ever played. To each their own, I guess :) Fluidity has one major flaw, though: DRM. If Nintendo could just get around to giving us user accounts that we could tie our Wii Ware/VC downloads to, instead of console-tying them, Fluidity would be just about perfect.

Back