This is just what we need right now.

Yungblood6, I see your point and i respect it, but I truly believe that unconsciously different types of media can affect us slightly. I am not saying that if you play a game where you can kill someone then you are automatically going to do it in real life. The effects that come from these forms of media are discrete and unconscious.

When it comes to my Power Ranger remark, the reason it made me that way was because i thought that it was totally awesome that they could kick monsters asses with those totally awesome karate moves. Now that i know right from wrong, I don't let these violent things affect my behavior, but that is because i am careful about it.

I'll ask you a single question and answer honestly and i do believe that in a way, it does prove my point.
When you see a movie about skateboarding, do you feel a slight urge to go out skateboarding? Or something like that with any other sports?

Radio said:
Yungblood6, I see your point and i respect it, but I truly believe that unconsciously different types of media can affect us slightly. I am not saying that if you play a game where you can kill someone then you are automatically going to do it in real life. The effects that come from these forms of media are discrete and unconscious.

When it comes to my Power Ranger remark, the reason it made me that way was because i thought that it was totally awesome that they could kick monsters asses with those totally awesome karate moves. Now that i know right from wrong, I don't let these violent things affect my behavior, but that is because i am careful about it.

I'll ask you a single question and answer honestly and i do believe that in a way, it does prove my point.
When you see a movie about skateboarding, do you feel a slight urge to go out skateboarding? Or something like that with any other sports?
well see you proved my point you controlled your actions, you took what is called self controll and applied it.

Yes i understand that games, movies and music can infuence you but at the same time you have to be the one to know what is appropriate and whats not appropriate in the real world.

Take for instance GTA i love that game i don't even do the missions half the time, i just go around and cause carnage. Yes i do like to run around and cause trouble but thats in that make believe world, in the real world i know that those actions have consiquences and would not engage in any of those activities. Same goes with the shooters that i play. I love to shoot things in those games, but i know to shoot stuff in real life has consiquences, so i don't go take my shotgun and blow cars up, or my 38 smith and wesson to some ones dome.

You see if i was to do those things and the time comes for me to pay for what i did i have no one to blame but my self! Because the games didnt make me choose to do those things i chose to do them. Thats the problem with society these days no one takes responsablity for them selves, its always someone elses fault.

Like take for instance when i said i own guns, if i was to just leave those guns lying around in the house and my girls son decides he is going to pick one up and go outside and play with his friends all because he was watching gi joe who's fault would that be. It all boils down to me! One because i left the guns out, two because i should have taught him not to ever touch those, three because i wasnt watching him when he did it. You see if he was watching gi joes and those guns never where there then what harm did gi joes realy do?

Radio, take your liberal idealist views and dismiss them from your mind as soon as possible. No really I mean it, you can say what you watch influences what you do but ultimately it all comes down to one thing, you, as a person, made a conscious choice to do whatever it is that you are doing. Don't give me any bullshit about this made me do that or whatever else you may think you know. As sentient being you are aware of your existence and aware of the choices you make, we all are. No one has the power to make anyone do anything else, regardless of what you say and yes that is true. if you are being tortured and you have two choices live or die, you are still going to make a conscious choice. Life is about making choices and being responsible for the choices you make, right or wrong, you must be responsible for them. For individuals to blame video games or anything else for that matter, for the choices they make is bullshit, plain and simple. You are responsible for yourself if you are an adult and if you are a parent, you are responsible for your children as well. It's very simple really.

hi willy good, your quote is very true:

"Its just don't-wannabe-parents who didn't know what a baby was until it accidentally popped out one day trying to find excuses and even profit from their non existent parenting skills."

but you'd have a hard time trying to tell somebody that, its like they say, "you can't handle the truth!"

Merry Christmas!

I'm not saying that video games cause violence. But they do desensitize us to it. The same goes with movies and television.

I don't think games make anyone do anything, but it defiantly makes everyone used to violence.

I haven't actually taken a stand on either side here.. I just felt like this argument needed someone on the other side. :lol:

Back