THQ: de Blob Sells Over 700K

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
THQ's unique paint-splattering Wii game de Blob has sold over 700K units worldwide, CEO Brian Farrell said on Tuesday during the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco.

Even in a wretched retail environment, the game has been able to hold its original $49.99 price point after about five months of availability. “We can make money on games like that," Farrell said.

Farrell described a "three-prong" Wii strategy that includes the publishing of high production value, "Nintendo-esque" games like de Blob, value titles like Big Beach Sports, which has sold over 1.3 million units, and licensed titles such as those found in the publisher's Nickelodeon portfolio.

The exec also hinted at an upcoming unannounced Wii game that is "very focused ... niche" but nonetheless expected to do well on the platform.

"The competition on the Wii right now is from Nintendo. That's what we've got to attack," he added. "The people who buy Nintendo games, [we want to] get them to buy things like de Blob."

As for the upcoming release of the Nintendo DSi handheld, Farrell said THQ would be migrating its "biggest brands" to the platform, adding that there will be new gameplay opportunities thanks to the DSi's new features.

linkage
w00t!!!

I usually buy nintendo publish games for wii (95% of the time), but i made an exception for deBlob because the game is so great!!! Bravo...THQ.

Definitely one of my fave 3rd-party Wii games! I am really glad to see it is selling well!

The sad thing is, as I've often said, if this was a Nintendo developed game it would have been a smash hit rather than a cult hit. I really enjoyed the game and, apart from a few minor control / camera issues, thought it was fantastic. Roll on de Blob 2 (with online multiplayer please THQ?)

:yesnod:

I had never even heard of it, but got it because Amazon had it bundled w/ another game I wanted for a discount on both (plus it got such great reviews). And it has turned out to be one of my favorite games ever! LOVE de Blob!!!

Back