Unable To Read Disc! AAHHHHHHHH!

For the Wii, Nintendo extended the technology to use a full size 12-cm DVD-based disc, enabling it to have the benefits of the Nintendo GameCube Game Disc, while having the standard capacity of a double-layer DVD-ROM. Although the Wii can utilize double-layer DVD-ROM discs, all titles were single-layer up until the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. With the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Nintendo has admitted that some Wii systems have trouble reading dual-layer discs due to a dirty laser lens. Nintendo is repairing systems with dual-layer problems free of charge, regardless of warranty status.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs

This must be random shipments or different drives as I have a launch wii and brawl is working fine so far. Update happened first then normal startup. Sucks for those that are having this.

I am doubting this dirty lens is the culprit.

Last edited:
guys

A. You're putting the Disc upside down, (which i doubt you're doing)

B. This is what happened to my friends and i fixed it for em... Put the disk in... wait for a while, it won't run... then press the screen on the top left, you know, so it brings up the game title and start and w/e and wait there, then an UPDATE WILL POP UP ...install the update THEN you can play XD

Afo said:
A. You're putting the Disc upside down, (which i doubt you're doing)

B. This is what happened to my friends and i fixed it for em... Put the disk in... wait for a while, it won't run... then press the screen on the top left, you know, so it brings up the game title and start and w/e and wait there, then an UPDATE WILL POP UP ...install the update THEN you can play XD
Don't want to be mean here, but...

A) I highly doubt anyone's stupid enough to do that...

B) We're talking about a message that says: Unable to Read Disc, not: There is a new update available. The problem everyone here has is that the laser that reads disks in their Wii is dirty (not like that, perverts!). No update for the Wii will clean it.

I believe there are a lot of modded wiis that cannot be sent back, and for those people who can't play brawl, they have no choice about what to do. I personally is one of them and well....idk what to say anymore, this is just pissed me off. By any chance, if anybody know that Nintendo will release an update to fix this problem because it is really their job.

Pantalaimn said:
This must be random shipments or different drives as I have a launch wii and brawl is working fine so far. Update happened first then normal startup. Sucks for those that are having this.

I am doubting this dirty lens is the culprit.

I also have a launch Wii and did not have any problems for a few days (got SSBB on launch also). However, in the last 2-3 days I am starting to get disk read errors and slower load times.

Sterculius said:
i REALLY want this game. after all this fuss about dual-layer disc read errors, i think i'm going to be safe and rent it to see if i have any problems. i don't want to ask for it for my b-day and then get it and not be able to play.
I did exactly that.
And, it plays fine. It has been making some strange noises though. I'm a little worried about that, but I don't want to send it in.

If it comes down to having Brawl, and sending my Wii in; Brawl will be sent back to the store.

And, I got mine a month after launch.
December 19th, 2006, I think. It's been a while.

I was really scared it wasn't going to work on me after all this talk. =O

I got my Wii in for Christmas in 2006 and this happened to me. I had to send it back with the game and just got it back yesterday, but before I sent it I marked my Wii and Game. When I opened it up yesterday I got my Wii but a different game. At least Nintendo was right about it taking a week.

people who have japanese modded wii's... have you found a way to play a US retail of SSBB? is there a way where i can download onto my computer some boot disc, which i could use to play SSBB?

thanks

Has anyone here who has sent their wii in gotten it back yet? If so, did the fix work? I want to send mine in, but only if there will be no more problems with SSBB once repaired.

Yeh. I would like to know also. Who has already sent theres in and got it back??
I sent mine in Friday, but Nintendo hasn't recieved it yet. Does that have to do with sending it in right before the weekend?? Because I was told it would only take a day to switch over to Nintendo.

I'm a little paranoid right now... my wii is out there all by itself.

the reason why the Wii has problems with the Brawl disc is because the disc has so much on it, it had to be a duel-layered disc. I forgive the terrible loading times because, well let's face it, the Wii isn't the most powerful system around. I'm surprised that it hasn't caught on fire yet. to me, its like The Little Engine That Could.

i am finally playing brawl!!!

i finally fixed my wii. it has nothing to do with the lens being dirty.

the laser needs to be calibrated so it reads closer to the disc. with the help of a video, and some advice from neo189, i was able to fix my wii and it is reading brawl perfectly. no more "unable to read disc" garbage.

remember, this will void your warranty. you will need:

1. tri-wing screwdriver (for the nintendo brand screws)
  2. phillips screwdriver (a small one)
  3. super small phillips or glasses repair flat head works
  4. exacto knife of small box cutter
  5. patience

watch this video on how to disassemble the wii.
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc[/MEDIA]

you will only need to go to 6:00 in the video. past there, flip the drive upside down and refer to this video. in the video he is manually turning the tray(exacto knife or something thin) in order to gain access to the POT adjustment screw, without removing the metal bracket (which is kinda tricky and can be a pain). spin it around till you see the screw. it is small so pay attention. it has some orange stuff around it.

this is where you will need a super small, not too sharp phillips, or a super small flathead. once you find the screw, only turn it 1/16-1/8 of a counter-clockwise turn. try 1/16 first. be careful, over adjusting can cause your laser to burn out.

the screw is very small and you do not have to turn it hard. honestly the super small flathead works perfectly cause you can feel it catch the grooves. just be patient.

once you make the adjustment, plug the two drive cables back and and the front panel cable and try it out before you put it back together, in case you need to make further adjustments. you need to place the front panel up against it in order to use the eject button and so forth.

once you verify that youre brawling, put the 15 screws back where you found them(might want to make a chart...or take pictures) and spend the next 5 hours brawling your balls off.

it is almost 4:20 am. this post is cutting into my brawl time, but i had to share.

keep it nerdy

Last edited:
Back