What's the big deal w/ Manhunt 2

kbearmoney

WiiChat Member
Jun 18, 2007
Ok, I'm confused about a few things.
1. Who determines the game ratings?

2. Did Rockstar have a clue of what the Manhunt 2 rating would be, if so, what was the point of making it, knowing it wouldn't be allowed on the consoles or sold in stores.

3. What's so bad about it that it's banned some places and has an AO rating?
Lots of games have killing, blood and cursing in them. What's speacial about this.

4. Has this happened w/ any other game before?

5. What does Rockstar need to do to get this game out?

1. The classification boards for the country e.g BBFC in UK, ESRB in US

2. Don't really know the answer to that but they must have known it was heading for a high rating.

3. The BBFC cited Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing, and There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game," it added, and highlighted "the game's unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer.

4. Yes in the UK in 1997 a game called Carmageddon was banned also GTA had to be recalled and changed after the famous 'hot coffee' incident.

5. In the UK the BBFC has said no amount of chopping and changing will see it released in the UK.

Hope some of the information has helped. It is my opinion that the BBFC has got their verdict completely right.

lettsy9 said:
1. The classification boards for the country e.g BBFC in UK, ESRB in US

2. Don't really know the answer to that but they must have known it was heading for a high rating.

3. The BBFC cited Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing, and There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game," it added, and highlighted "the game's unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer.

4. Yes in the UK in 1997 a game called Carmageddon was banned also GTA had to be recalled and changed after the famous 'hot coffee' incident.

5. In the UK the BBFC has said no amount of chopping and changing will see it released in the UK.

Hope some of the information has helped. It is my opinion that the BBFC has got their verdict completely right.

Yeah they knew it was heading for a high rating, but still they had to at least try.
They might be editing it now for content and stuff but i'm not sure, they might be still thinking about their options as I havn't heard much lately about it. At least since it was given the AO rating....

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-articles/30606-manhunt-2-ban-explained.html
That might help explain some of the stuff too, or at least more. If you havn't read it already.

Back