Which is Better - Blockbuster Online Game Rentals or Gamefly?

I didn't even know Blockbuster did games so I can't tell you much about that but as far as Gamefly goes, I've been with them for about 4 years now. The time between when I put a game in the mail and when the next game comes in the mail is about a week. My queue has gotten kinda ugly lately seeing a LOT of "Long Wait" games. ALL my Wii games at one point had "Short Wait" but then I got my DS and loaded my queue with DS games so I've been getting games I wanted. None of this is complaining though because I was renting from Netflix about 8 years ago and Netflix used to be the same way. It got harder and harder to get stuff then out of nowhere it got to be like it is now where I'd mail a movie in and get the next one 2 days later, sometimes even the next day. I also rarely ever have any wait on Netflix now. Anyway, my point is I e-mailed Gamefly a few weeks ago just kinda asking what's up with the waits on all the games and why is the shipping time getting longer, they said it's something they're working on. A few days later they sent out a mail to all members announcing another shipping center and a reworked "wait" system in the queue to give members a better idea how long it'd be before games came. I mailed a game 2 days ago and just got the e-mail today that my next game has been shipped, which is faster than usual. My whole point is that because everything happening with Gamefly lately is reminding me so much of when Netflix improved so much out of nowhere, I'm happy with Gamefly anyway but it looks like it's about to get even better. Besides, even when it takes a week for a game to come, paying $20-30 a month to rent games is a lot better than $50 for each game when they could end up being games that end up being the type I play through once and then put away for a long time.

The Blockbuster closest to me doesn't even have Xbox 360, nevermind Wii, and I get DVDs through Netflix... so I haven't ever even considered renting from Blockbuster even from the actual store, but if you find anything about the game one, I'd like to know.

i like to go around using the free trials (yes, im a bad man :()

we have blockbuster for movies online and every month they give us a coupon that i can use for a free game. its always a 7-day rental, no matter how new the game is.

Does anyone have gaming online subscriptions with either of these companies?

Well, I double checked due to this thread, and blockbuster still has the following in their FAQ as of now:

At this time, we are unable to offer online game rentals.

I still think that if Blockbuster wants to beat out Netflix, all they need to do is offer a Movie + Games online rental. If I could get both with one account, I'd dump my netflix in a heartbeat...

Netflix allows watching the movies online now, though, so they'd still have to add that, too, I think.
I dunno, something just bothers me about Blockbuster that even if they had movies/games, I'd stick with Netflix and Gamefly. If Netflix and Gamefly were to merge, I'd definitely crap my pants in excitement :)

TexasDudeUSA said:
Does anyone have gaming online subscriptions with either of these companies?

I have gamefly... I like it and the shipping is usually about a couple days.
One thing I like about it is if you like the game many of them have the option to keep it (so you are buying a used game) They will then send you the game box and instructions and the price you pay is far lower than if you bouhgt it used from a store.

Like the other poster said its not like netflix where you always get the top items in your queue. I enedied up getting a #3 item from my queue but its better to try them fitst than waste money on one you may not like

I have Netflix (for movies) and Blockbuster (for games in store) and Gamefly (for games over the internet). I didn't even know that Blockbuster did an online service.

Netflix is great I almost always get a new movie four days after mailing one off. So if I mail one on Monday, I get a new one on Friday. Great turnaround time in my opinion.

Gamefly annoys me. I really feel like I'm getting the shaft sometimes, but I wasn't aware that there was an alternative (Blockbuster Online). More often than not it takes 8+ days for me to get a new game. If I mail one Monday I get a new one on the NEXT Tuesday. :( Also, 3 times now I have gotten damage games that I have had to send back, with another 8+ day turnaround.

I've never gotten any damaged games from Gamefly but I've gotten damaged/incorrect discs through Netflix a lot of times. Doesn't bother me too much though, they're really good with fixing the problem for you. Usually I get the replacement disc the very next day before even mailing the bad one back.

I've never done the Keep It thing on Gamefly, but it's definitely cheaper than buying used from a store. I have New Super Mario Bros. right now and the keep it price is something around $20. When I had Super Paper Mario the week it came out, the keep it price for that was $35, which I was very tempted to pay considering I was most likely the first person with that copy ANYWAY and that's $15 cheaper than I could've possibly gotten it anywhere.

Back