Why are Wii titles download limited?

KevinL

WiiChat Member
Jun 17, 2009
Orange County, CA
Wii Online Code
7915-0101-5710-6533
I searched and didnt find an answer.

Why are Wii versions of games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band limited in their amount of downloadable content? The excuse is licensing issues, so who is the problem? Nintendo? The record companies? The Xbox and PS3 get all the cool downloads first and the Wii gets hosed.

I don't know about Rock Band but how is Guitar Hero limited? I've not downloaded much except for freebies but I'm not aware of any differences.

The problem used to be with storage but with GH: WT and the SD update there is no reason for not having the same kind of DLC.

It says only XBox and PS3 owners get to use their songs in GH:M. Wii users are out of luck.

None of the versions have transferrable DLC, so you cannot use DLC from World Tour in Metallica or vice versa. That is the same on Wii, 360 and PS3.

The only DLC that is supported in the 360/PS3 versions of Metallica is the Death Magnetic ones, which obviously wouldn't be available to the Wii as they were not released due to there being no DLC in GH:3 for the Wii. After GH: WT there is no difference in the DLC between the systems.

So I think that you are complaining about there being no transferrable Wii DLC from GH3, which would be impossible when there was no DLC on Wii GH3.

I never mentioned GH3. But yes, the XBox/PS3 versions got DLC in that version and the Wii version didnt until GH:WT.
And yes I am referring to the Death Magnetic DLC. XBox and PS3 users get the full album, while Wii users get only four songs. And there are a lot more songs available to download in the XBox/PS3 versions of GH:WT than there is in the Wii version.

Why does the Wii get shafted?

I never mentioned GH3. But yes, the XBox/PS3 versions got DLC in that version and the Wii version didnt until GH:WT.
And yes I am referring to the Death Magnetic DLC. XBox and PS3 users get the full album, while Wii users get only four songs. And there are a lot more songs available to download in the XBox/PS3 versions of GH:WT than there is in the Wii version.

Why does the Wii get shafted?

You didn't mention GH3 but Death Magnetic was originally DLC for GH3 on 360/PS3. The Wii version of GH3 didn't have DLC so that is why it isn't possible to use Death Magnetic in Metallica on Wii, because it never existed in the first place for Wii GH3.

My guess would be that Activision licenses songs for each GH game seperately, so that could be why DLC is not able to be used across the different games and could also be why they only released 4 Metallica songs on Wii. Or maybe they are just lazy.

What DLC songs exactly do the 360/PS3 versions of GH:WT have that the Wii doesn't? When I looked on the Wiki list that you referenced the only songs that it showed were not on Wii were the Death Magnetic ones.

The Wii doesn't get the track packs for GH:WT but it gets the songs available as singles, which in a way is better as you can pick which songs you actually want, rather than getting an album with some songs you didn't want.

So how is the Wii shafted on GH:WT or GH:Metallica, other than not having the Metallica content available from GH3?

Back