Wii Channels?

IWantCheerwine

WiiChat Member
Nov 11, 2006
i heard about Wii Channels where you can access the internet through your Wii...is this true? and if so does it cost money? is it wi fi? details people lol

-Zak

I belive from what i heard with the remote u get from the console pakage u can go on the channels through the WII not completly sure tho...

the internet is free, you just need to download the opera browser. however, if you get your wii after june of 07, you hafta pay around $10-$20 for the opera browser.

daddyfatsackz said:
UMMMMMMMM no you have to purchase the "opera browser" to actually surf the net, but you will be online in a sense that you are on Nintendos network...not sure of price.

Opera is free unitl June '07.

oh sick! you get it free till June '07? awesome!

is it possible to hook it up to internet WITHOUT Wi-Fi? if not how much is wi fi?

daddyfatsackz said:
UMMMMMMMM no you have to purchase the "opera browser" to actually surf the net, but you will be online in a sense that you are on Nintendos network...not sure of price.

Lol. . .he is asking about Opera in another thread because he doesn't believe it will be free until next summer. What a poser :eek:ut:

hmmm...yes, I've been wanting to know this too...

Does this mean you have to have a wireless modem thingy that communicates with the Wii? Or can you hook it up to an internet outlet? Or can you use the DS Wi-Fi Connector? I'm guessing 'no' on the third, but I still would like answers for my other questions. (problem is, I don't have a wireless modem, only a DS Wi-Fi Connector, and I REALLY want to use the Wii's internet capabilities!:nonod:)

ilovekakairu said:
hmmm...yes, I've been wanting to know this too...

Does this mean you have to have a wireless modem thingy that communicates with the Wii? Or can you hook it up to an internet outlet? Or can you use the DS Wi-Fi Connector? I'm guessing 'no' on the third, but I still would like answers for my other questions. (problem is, I don't have a wireless modem, only a DS Wi-Fi Connector, and I REALLY want to use the Wii's internet capabilities!:nonod:)

To use the built-in Wi-Fi functionality of the Wii you need a wireless router (or similar Wireless Access Point). However, you can buy a dongle that hooks up using the usb port on the Wii that will allow you to use a wired connection (using standard Cat-5 networking cable).

You will be able to download Opera for free until june 07 after that you have to pay a one time fee then its free forever :)

Last edited by a moderator:
csiguy4u said:
To use the built-in Wi-Fi functionality of the Wii you need a wireless router (or similar Wireless Access Point). However, you can buy a dongle that hooks up using the usb port on the Wii that will allow you to use a wired connection (using standard Cat-5 networking cable).

Really?! Would you be kind enough to tell me where I can get a "dongle/Cat-5 Network Cable"? Maybe at Office Depot or something?

ilovekakairu said:
Really?! Would you be kind enough to tell me where I can get a "dongle/Cat-5 Network Cable"? Maybe at Office Depot or something?
Yeah, he was talking about a USB-to-Ethernet adapter like the one made by Nintendo for Wii below:
wii-accessories-20061011003640271.jpg

The USB part plugs into one of the two USB ports on the back of Wii and then you plug an ethernet cable into the hole on it and the other end into either a router or modem.

However, you don't have to buy Nintendo's (probably) over priced adapter. Go here to look at some on Froogle for way cheaper that work just the same. Just make sure you buy from a trusted store like CompUSA or Newegg. You could probably find one of these at a Best Buy or Circuit City.

NateTheGreat said:
Yeah, he was talking about a USB-to-Ethernet adapter like the one made by Nintendo for Wii below:
wii-accessories-20061011003640271.jpg

The USB part plugs into one of the two USB ports on the back of Wii and then you plug an ethernet cable into the hole on it and the other end into either a router or modem.

However, you don't have to buy Nintendo's (probably) over priced adapter. Go here to look at some on Froogle for way cheaper that work just the same. Just make sure you buy from a trusted store like CompUSA or Newegg. You could probably find one of these at a Best Buy or Circuit City.

Oh thank you! Just in case, do you know if the Wii's USB-to-Ethernet will be on sale at launch? Or will it come out later? I want to have options ya know.:p

ilovekakairu said:
Oh thank you! Just in case, do you know if the Wii's USB-to-Ethernet will be on sale at launch? Or will it come out later? I want to have options ya know.:p
Unfortunatly, I don't know if it will be available at launch. I just looked on EBGames.com and they don't have it listed. However, the link in my above post which you quoted has a link to USB-to-Ethernet adapters that will probably be $10-$20 cheaper than the one Nintendo will release.

Hope that helps.:)

Back