Wii & Citywide Wi-Fi

Frog

WiiChat Member
Oct 21, 2007
I use a local city-wide Wi-Fi ISP for my internet. My laptop has a internal wireless NIC which picks up the networks and I log into their secure network with a login and password.

Can Wii connect to a secure network like this?

Does Wii allow you to type in a username and password for these types of networks?

Does it show you list of all nearby networks so you can choose the one you want to connect to?

Last edited:
good question, i use a secure wireless connection at my apt. but it doesn't require a login each time it connects.

Btw, what city do you live in? I wish we had city-wide Wi-Fi down here but I guess we have more pertinent issues.

Frog said:
I use a local city-wide Wi-Fi ISP for my internet. My laptop has a internal wireless NIC which picks up the networks and I log into their secure network with a login and password.

Can Wii connect to a secure network like this?

Does Wii allow you to type in a username and password for these types of networks?

Does it show you list of all nearby networks so you can choose the one you want to connect to?

To clarify, as long as the citywide service does not require you to click agree to a ToS agreement, then you will be fine. However, most of them do have this (such as Openlink).

For example, you connect to it on your computer and a webpage is opened asking you to click an "I Accept" button.

The same goes for the DS.

Hope this has been helpful.

EDIT: I know this because I live in Norwich, the first city in England to recieve full wifi!

FRuMMaGe said:
To clarify, as long as the citywide service does not require you to click agree to a ToS agreement, then you will be fine. However, most of them do have this (such as Openlink).

For example, you connect to it on your computer and a webpage is opened asking you to click an "I Accept" button.

The same goes for the DS.

Hope this has been helpful.

EDIT: I know this because I live in Norwich, the first city in England to recieve full wifi!
I don't think you do for mine. I think you just use your password and log in the first time and then your computer caches the info and you don't have to use it again.

Back