Wii component cables, which ones which?

Ihaveworms

WiiChat Member
Nov 12, 2006
Ok so most know about the Wii having optional component cables you can buy. I have a Sony KV36FS13 36" Flat-Screen TV. You can see it here: Amazon.com: Sony KV36FS13 36" Flat-Screen TV: Electronics . Well If you look on the tech specs on amazon it says:
# Number AV Inputs (Front/Rear) : 1 / 2
# Number HD Component Video Inputs (Front/Rear) : 0 / 0
# Number S-Video Inputs (Front/Rear) : 0 / 1
# Number RF Jacks : 1
# Number Standard Component Inputs (Front/Rear) : 0 / 1

So I go downstairs look on the back of my TV and look at all the different input jacks I have.

I am guessing that the last set of inputs are the component ones. The one under the 4th Video. So I go to the Nintendo site and look at their component cables.

Nintendo: Online Store - Product Detail

As you can see in that picture, there are 5 different plugs. So would this work with my TV correctly? Just for the heck of it, I go to wikipedia and different places like this one: Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and see that their component cables have 3 plugs. What is the difference? Will the component cables that work with the Wii be the same ones my TV has places for?

Also, you can see my TV isn't HD. Would the component cables make the picture quality better, or would it be just the same for me?

I also looked here and I saw some cables with 3 (like on wikipedia) and some with 5 (like my TV). Component Audio/Video

I have seen TV's labeled EDTV as seen on wikipedia : Enhanced-definition television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Is my TV one of these types because it has the component inputs? Would this make it worthwhile buying them to get the 480p?

I'm sure your 36" widescreen capable TV is able to run at 480p, considering it has component inputs. So, yes, your TV would benefit from the component cables.

As for if it's worthwhile, that's your decision. I'm sure the picture quality would be improved, but if you can obtain the cables or not is another question entirely.

Back