Wii internet connection issues

kennedy316

WiiChat Member
Jun 22, 2007
I dont have the greatest set up in the world as im not the much of a tech head but was wondering if anyone could advise me on a problem im having with my new Wii.

I have a broadband connection where the modem is plugged into my pc via a usb port i then have an adsl connection running from the modem to a speedtouch box which i turn has a telephone line connected to it via the type of connection that a phone has to the wall socket. Obviously the other end of this is connected to the wall socket along with my telephone.

As this is not a wireless connection i bought an LAN Wii adaptor to connect my Wii to the net but it is here that my problem lies.

Whenever i try to test the connection i get error message 51420. I have the LAN Adaptor connected to the Wii via the usb connection and it is then connected to my pc via the LAN adaptor. It is here that i believe the problem lies as would i be right in saying that haing botht the broadband and LAN adaptor connected to the pc via two connections will not work.

Do i need some sort of box into which i connect both the LAN adaptor and the broadband connection and then this one box is connected to the pc(a router i think its called) or is there a way to connect in the manner that i am already trying.

Help is greatly needed here peeps.

*In another forum i was given the following advice-
yes, your best bet would be to get a Wii compatible wireless router, but
seeing as you haven't there are things you can do to try and get your current
connection working.

Quote:
It is here that i believe the problem lies as would i be right in saying that haing botht the broadband and LAN adaptor connected to the pc via two connections will not work.

no, that's not true.

basically, when you are connecting the Wii to a "host" pc (with internet connectivity)
what you are effectively doing is "sharing" the internet connection, pretty much like
windows own internet connection sharing (ICS).

what you will need to do is more than likely, run the windows ICS wizard and ensure
that the connection that *is* your internet connection (the USB one) is shared.
what "should" happen is the ethernet (LAN) adaptor in your PC will be allocated
and IP address by the wizard of 192.168.0.1 if memory serves me correctly, when
you then connect the Wii to the pc, the Wii (if set to obtain network settings
automatically) should now be able to obtain relevant IP info from the PC and you
should then be able to connect and update the Wii and consequently, download the
internet channel (opera).

if you have a look on google for WiiChat, there's a dedicated forum for Wii owners.
there are a lot of questions about using the datel and nintendo's LAN adaptors and
also ther wifi variants.

the bottom line is, for ease of set-up and convenience it's best to get a compatible
router.

*I have looked at my connections and it says that my broadband connection is shared but the LAN connection has a red cros on it, how do i get round this problem?

Hi Kennedy

i see you found the forum then?

i also replied to your second question on reviewer.

If you have yet to fix your problem, try unplugging the modem for about thirty seconds with the computer usb removed (I dont think the lan is meant to be hooked to a PC, go straight to your modem IF YOU HAVE AN ETHERNET PORT), then hook the ETHERNET from the lan into the modem and plug the modem back in. Turn on the Wii and you should bingo. Go through the setup and you should be running. This was my problem. Call Nintendo if you have further issues, they are really good at helping out.

It's Broken

Well I've tried EVERYTHING in the troubleshooting tips and NOTHING works for me, NOTHING!! There's no interference between the wii and the router they're like 15 feet apart, my router's a Linksys WRT54G v5, and everything, I called Nintendo of America and not even THEY had a solution for me!! I called AT LEAST 5 times to see what different reps had to say. Does anyone have any other solutions?, I got that router a year ago and the Nintendo reps told me that it was compatible so I shouldn't have to buy a new one! I'm so tired of this sh*t! someone please reply before I smash my networking hardware to pieces! :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5:

Umm, its your first post and all we know is the type of router and how far away it is.

We can't help with out more information..... like the error message you have?

You should start your own thread.

i meen i have wirless but how do u connect it into the wii
Please, for the sake of our souls, go easy on the "ChatSpeak". And also,
this is an old thread that you bumped up. TIP: When you go to a thread, look at the post dates.
ANYWAY. You click the Wii icon on the menu [Everybody knows, I'm just going in step by step sequence . lol]
- Click Wii settings
- Scroll over until you find Internet
- Click connection 1, 2, or 3 (I chose 1)
- Click "Search for [something. Lol, I forget. But the two first words should help]
- It should show the wireless networks in range
- Find your name, and click it [Not... YOUR NAME. Just, the name the company gave your WiFi. [Hope this is clear...]
- Type in your security codes and everything where needed [This came on a sheet of paper for mine]

Hope this helps WiiBubble [Or other people who did not know how]

Back