Wii Remote & Self Calibration

Xell

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2006
Alright, something with the new Wii-Remote has been bothering me, and I'm not sure if it's only happening to some of us - or all of us. Basically, what happens to me (and a lot of others as I've been reading) is that, - lets take Red Steel for example. You point the remote dead centre in the screen, instead of your Crosshair appearing is said position it's about 10 inches higher, causing your character to start looking at the ceiling and spiraling out of control. Now, I'd understand this was a software issue provided it only happened in Red Steel. But truth be told. It's like this everywhere including the Wii Menu's. What's the point of stating where the Sensor is? Above or Below the TV? It has no idea the height of the TV as it is, and screws up the calibration anyway.Regardless of where you put the bar, the calibration is off - by a lot. I can't even play Red Steel without sitting on the ground. The moment I stand or sit at TV level there's no way in Hell I'm gonna be able to aim worth crap. Is the "off-calibration" happening to everyone? And if not, what's the size of your TV? It seems very strange that it wouldn't ask you to point at the different corners of the TV. And by the way, I know there are sensitivity options. This has nothing to do with sensitivity. Anyhow, just curious to know how everyone else is responding to the Wii-remote in accuracy.

What do you think the sensor bar is for? Decoration?

It aims at your sensor bar, not the TV.

So for some reason I'm supposed to point my remote Below my TV where the sensor bar is so I can get my crosshair in the center of my TV? I was under the impression that where you pointed the remote on-screen was where your crosshair was supposed to show up.

If your sensor bar is above, then select above.. (duh) Then try reconnecting your wiimote in Wii remote settings. Another thing you could try is the resync option. Remove your wiimote battery cover and press the red button, the blue lighs should start blinking. Then go to your console, flip down the sd card input cover and press the button you'll find there. Lights on the wiimote should stop blinking. Your wiimote has now been resync-ed. Trying all these options should definitely have your wiimote point correctly now.

Ya mine is like that too. But it isn't off by very far so it doesn't bother me to bad. But if you were in a game that you had to point without the cursor then it would suck ass. But I think it does this with all of them so maybe they will release an update allowing you to calibrate it.

I've got the same issue.
It's really bad in games like "Ghost Squad" where you have to shoot at targets on the screen.
Especially if you play "Reticule Off".
Then you're just shooting blindly.
I mean, it doesn't matter if I put the sensor bar over or under the TV, and how I put "Sensor Position" setting.
If I aim directly at the TV, it's a complete miss.
If I hold my wiimote at an angle, pointing it above the TV, then I might be able to shoot something on screen.

But you're right.
They NEED to do something that allows you to calibrate.
I can understand that the sensor bar senses the motion of the Wiimote, for games like Wii Boxing or Wii Bowling.
But we still need something that helps with "aiming" for shooting games that requires us to aim at a target on the TV.

i have that same problem but mine is way off like i cant even see the currser unless i hold the remote over the bar and to the right it dose it on the wii menu and in games any Advice?

Same Issue

Ghost Squad and Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles.

Nightmare.

We're pointing in relation to the sensor bar to hit the targets. Res Eve has a cursor, it is near the top of my 42" TV when I'm aiming at the centre! Madness. So I emailed Nintendo, got my friends too also. We've all stated in the email that the games and functionality is misleading. Calibration was not designed to suit them and that consumers expect the purpose of a computer gun to shoot not much different from a real one in terms of trajectory and target. Keeping in mind not all games might be actual guns i.e. bows.

Anyway our mailings sounded better than what I just put but my point is so far Nintendo have got away with this crap. A lot of people probably shrug it off, put it down to them being useless or their TV then stick the hardware on eBay just days after buying it rather than making a firm complaint.

Sticking to other consoles for my light gun action for now.

Back