Wii v. Wii U

Cupcake

WiiChat Member
Oct 20, 2020
I am new to this forum and completely unfamiliar with all this. I just purchased a Wii U for my 10-year-old son who desperately wanted it to play super smash bros ultimate with his best friend. Unfortunately, we learned after purchasing the console that his friend has a Wii and not a Wii U. Does anyone know if and how my son will be able to play his Wii U version with his friend who has the Wii?

Thanks for any help.

You cant play WiiU games on the Wii. But you can play Wii games on the WiiU
The Wii has Smash brothers Brawl

You cant play WiiU games on the Wii. But you can play Wii games on the WiiU
The Wii has Smash brothers Brawl

I did know this - good thing I bumped into this thread. I thought it is a general thing as as it is a Wii.

In addition to the backwards compatibility but not forwards compatibility, (and folks more in the know can correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think the Wii console can do online gaming anymore now that WiiConnect24 has been decom'd.

Is that true???!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Why?

Because Nintendo has decommissioned the WiiConnect24 services years ago now. Remember, the Wii console is now 2 generations old, and Nintendo's focus as a business is currently on the Switch platform. There may be a 3rd party service that's still supporting online play of a few Wii games nowadays, but I can't remember what it is or even if it's still being maintained today.

Because Nintendo has decommissioned the WiiConnect24 services years ago now. Remember, the Wii console is now 2 generations old, and Nintendo's focus as a business is currently on the Switch platform. There may be a 3rd party service that's still supporting online play of a few Wii games nowadays, but I can't remember what it is or even if it's still being maintained today.

Yeah I have read this. Customers shifted to Nintendo Switch. Hmmm do you think this is more convenient?

Back