2 players on a 1 Player game

StepOnfrog

**.: arf . arf . arf :.**
Jan 3, 2007
Wii Online Code
3485-3598-3383-3303
This may (or may not) sound a bit odd and stupid to some people, but is a great way to involve 'the other half', 'fluff', or whatever else your pet name for that extra-special companion in your life may be, or perhaps your best mate on a beer drinking night in at the Wii Console...

About 9 or 10 years ago, there was a game on the PC (win 95 back then) called Stonekeep. Now, this isn't an advertisement for a retrogame, nor a tedious rant! But, read on...

Stonekeep was a 1 player game that had tons of controls (keyboard + mouse), but they were split up in such a way that made it easy for 2 people to control the same character in the game. The game was a dungeon adventure, in which you had to beat the living daylights out of all sorts of creatures, solve all shades of puzzles, etc. And, not so much in a similar frame of 3D graphics of today, the game had the layout of N E S W Up & Dn and was all (dunno what it's called, but...) fixed and repeated tiled graphics. So, now you have the basic idea of the game's style.

Now, Stonekeep was the only game I've ever come across on any machine or console that allowed 2 players to control 1 character at the same time... as in, she controlled the directions of the character and I did all the beating, but we both made the decisions on what to do and where to go.

This method of 2 players for 1 character also works with the Wii: Zelda - Twilight Princess, and is the only game other than Stonekeep that has ever allowed me and my partner the ability of playing the same game at the same time in the same way we used to 10 years ago.

The reason we can both play Zelda on the Wii in our old Retro-Style way is all down to the controllers. She does actions with the Wii Remote, and I do movements & directions with the NunChuk.

Seriously, you should try it, and maybe stop your other half from giving earache for not paying them attention... lol But, to the point, there's great enjoyment in the game (other than what's there already), and my partner and I have a really good laugh when we're not being serious about it.

We had problems with Zelda at first; we had a massive argument on the first night because she couldn't control the directions, and I was just getting annoyed at hours of messing around. So, the second night we swapped positions and duties (directions and actions), and now... the game is a breeze and we're both happy to be playing the same game at the same time, rather than one of us watching the other mess around with a game for hours on end (seriously boring!) It feels great for us both to be involved in puzzle solving and being on the same wavelength (not that we've ever been anything other than on the same wavelength).

For years, since Stonekeep, we had bought and tried a number of games thinking that we would be able to play them in the same way as we had with Stonekeep, but nothing came even remotely close. This was an utter shame, because as I'm sure you're aware the majority of games pre-dating Zelda on the Wii, and in the same category are well worth playing... we just wished those gemes could have been arranged in such a way that we both could have played them together.

Having used the Wii Controllers, I can foresee future games (Zelda Style) being used in the 2 Player - 1 Character way. And, this has obviously happened without Nintendo realising the potential for the 2 - 1 control method.

If you're going to try what's written here yourself, though, be really cautious of rapid and sudden movements (you're both holding a control connected to each other), stop playing if you start to argue and discuss and sort the problem out (or just don't bother; it might not be for you), and remember - it's just a game.!

Other than all that, I'd like to see an extension cable for the NunChuk.

Thats a very interesting idea. I actually have an original copy of Stonekeep which is installed on this PC. It was a great game.
I'm not sure I could take only controlling part of the game though. Interesting idea none the less.

some of my friends did that with "enter the matrix" on the PC. interesting idea for the wii. (though i can imagine egetting EXTREMELY frustrated, but thats because i like to be in control fully of what im doing, nothing to do with the idea itself)

Here's one, Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracies (PS2) Controller 1 = movement, aiming and actions Controller 2 = Firing and Psipowers. Stupidly hard though but it was designed for that :p

If you buy Wii Play, I'd recommend trying shooting with two players playing for 1 player (this was originally for one player wanting to have two guns and hence hold two remotes, one in each hand for more firepower) and possibly tanks where you can work together and go through the levels.

WARNING!!!!!

The result of flailing arms and WiiMote whilst sword fighting - brings out bruises!

sorearm.JPG

Be very careful..! :eek:

Back