24connect all the time

einwol

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
ok

I've had the wii since the launch and I have downloaded all the channels and updates and I find my 24 connect on ALL the TIME!!!!! I've checked my connection and the wii says it's good but the thang is on all the time. Any ideas to why? is there anyway to track what the heck the wii is doing during the 24connect connection?

thanks everyone

cheers

ok

my deal is that it should be only on when it is doing something and I don't understand why it is always doing something. Does the wii download slower in 24 connect mode? there has got to be a reason why it's on so long. We are talking 3 day straight now yo!

ok technicly it only updates when the news,forcast,vote,internet,shop channel get updates so its not really on all the time

It is on all the time so that your Wii knows when you have new messages. It's pretty easy to switch off though. Later, Nintendo may be able to send other stuff too.
Why do you think it's called Connect24?

einwol said:
ok

my deal is that it should be only on when it is doing something and I don't understand why it is always doing something.

How do you know it is always doing something?

Maybe he means its connected to his Wireless router, you can see this by going on your router settings. On netgear its called "Attached Devices" can't remeber about belkin or the others.

This is a feature. If you don't like it, disable it in the Wii Settings, per the *instruction manual*

everyone,

I know how to turn it off. I was wondering why it was on so much. I wondering what it was doing. It would seem like the 24 connect did not download anything for I had to update my machine. I am wondering what the real use of this feature.

24 connect is for sending and receiving wii-mail, letting your mii travel and to download news/weather reports. It will give you notices that you can update your software if the update involves the addition of a new channel such as the opinion or news channel.
To be an effective e-mail client it really does need to be connected 24 hours or your mail will be delayed. I've found that the timed delay from me sending and e-mail from my main server to when it's received and posted by the wii to be in the range of 5 minutes or less (of course, that may increase as more and more people use the 24connect and start to tie up server/bandwidth).

I'm glad that it gives you the option of updating the software instead of just doing it automatically. Can you imagine the trouble that might occur if you turn off your router at night and it was in the middle of a download/update? You might just end up with a 'bricked' unit.

Lil

yeah when i'm updating on my wii my internet connection sucks on my laptop, so if it was always automatic, would not like that very much..

einwol, it is on all the time, but it's not like it is downloading all the time.. it is there to get what it needs much sooner than if it had to go through some sort of initialization procedure every time you turn on the unit.. its actually similar to the tv you have it hooked up to.. all tvs nowadays are always in some sort of "on" state, otherwise it would take about a full minute for the screen to come on..

Back