32" polaroid walmart blitz item! the cool things it can do!

knoxbox

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
Strawberry Plains, TN
Wii Online Code
2067-6457-2250-9081
so i got this tv during blitz had to wait till xmas to open it anyways, just wanted to say that if you have this tv or a tv with a digital or qam tuner and ur running comcast cable the tv has the ability to unscramble up to 450 on demand user usage...

what this means is say your in a large city like los angeles or new york... were they would have upwards of 450 people on a cable node for comcast then u have the ability to watch those that are using on demand.

explaination...

have your tv do a channel search, u'll see it say digital channels and start counting up... takes probably 5 mins to complete... from channel 02 on the tv hit the down channel. u'll notics channels like 109-01 etc etc... three digit channels with a -then two digit number. alot of these are going to be people that are watching channels on demand. the digital tuner will pick these up and unscramble them.

the upside to this is during primetime around 8:00 when lots of people are going to be pulling a movie up on demand u could probably catch a great flick for free... instead of paying 2.99 or whatever it is they charge to see the flick. odviously the bigger the city your in the more options u'll probably have.

the downside is the user has control over the on demand channel, meaning if they skip through a part or turn it off, then it will cut it off on your tv as well. they pause it and yours is paused, they fast forward and yours fast forwards... etc...

but during primetime hours ive caught several movies and not had any issues with the user pausing for more than a few seconds or rewinding or fast forwarding... usually the intro gets fast forwarded through... and they may rewind if they missed at part.

just thought i'd share this trick. please post if you have other tv's that also do this, i'd say any hdtv that had a digital tuner should do this.

note: this will only work if you have basic cable..... in otherwords without a digital box. you can try it by disconnecting your digital box and plugging the coaxal straight into the tv. then perform a channel search.

i dont get it =/
but ill just laugh to be polite

.....LMAO,LOL,ROFL.....

That's pretty cool - I had an HTPC setup years ago, and at the time everything but premium movie channels was unencrypted (now I think it's only local stuff). Most of the tuner cards only support NTSC and ATSC - analog/digital OTA (Over The Air) HD or QAM based without any options for decrypting.

Side note: ATI has a new external tuner that supports CableCards so it *can* do QAM based signal (cable) and decrypt (though I think the Cablecard is like an extra cost on your sub).

Now I'm on DirecTV and so far, zero options for sat based tuner cards (well there's some kind of mutant hack for STB's that provide a post-cypher cable stream, but it's kind of silly expensive).

That's a pretty cool find!

d_k said:
i dont get it =/
but ill just laugh to be polite

.....LMAO,LOL,ROFL.....
That made me laugh so hard.
You win today, Diego.

gotta love the kiddie post whores that just have to make a comment to get that post count up! wo0t wo0t!

Back