50hz or 60hz in PAL? which is better?

pluto2 said:
I tried the 60hz stuff and while I didn't get a black and white image I got an image which "jumped" abit, especieally on corners of things so I had to stick with 50hz, guess the tv is older than I thought it was, piece of crap, I want a LCD tv but I can't afford it, I'll have to settle for 50hz for now.
I've heard that LCD TV's have a poor lifespan. Modern Cathode Ray TV's are capable of doing 60hz, and should have a better lifespan. Also, they're cheaper.

As said already 60hz gives a smoother framerate than 50hz. I would advise everyone that has a TV that supports it to use 60hz (then the HDTV option is not possible). You can really tell the difference once you know what to look for. If you cant see the difference then simply put on Wii Sports Golf and pay attention to the hole flyovers before your first shot. At 60hz the flyover motion looks dead smooth, at 50hz the motion stutters once every few frames in a constant manor.

What is happening is Nintendo are skipping a frame every so often to keep the game speed the same over both formats. It may sound unneeded but when you have games with sound that syncs to graphics it becomes important.

Raz

Last edited:
razoola: thanks for the information. I still can't do 60hz though due to a crappy tv and no money to buy a new but I'm glad I got that information!

I will until I get a better tv, that is, in a year or two or three or so :p

Back