Anyone here golf?

I only played once or twice, all I did was hit a ball around my big lawn and try to hit as far as I could. Me and my friend used my riding mower as the caddy.

blueovalboy7 said:
Tennis FTL.

I think we need SSBB Lover in here, and he'll straighten you out.

No offense, but I think golf is boring... :O And yes, I know I'll get the unoriginal answer of "All you do in tennis is hit a ball back in forth." It involves waaayyy more skill than you'd ever think.

I rather like golf, right now I am no good, and quite frankly have no time at this point in my life. I know I have the *potential*, so whenever I can start up again...

manufan15 said:

No offense, but I think golf is boring... :O And yes, I know I'll get the unoriginal answer of "All you do in tennis is hit a ball back in forth." It involves waaayyy more skill than you'd ever think.
You mean just like any other sport? :wink:

manufan15 said:

I know how much skill tennis takes, and I know I can't do it. I can assure you that there is much more to playing golf than you would imagine. Golf is boring to watch, not at all to play. Tennis in my opinion is even more boring to watch, and the constant grunting is annoying as all hell.

There is no one that will convince me to ever like tennis whatsoever. I can appreciate the talent needed to perform at a high level, but I find nothing about it appealing.

I couldn't agree more.

I consider golf to be one of the most exciting sports I've ever played. The feeling you get from hitting a *perfect* shot is just great. I just wish I were better.

The main reason I stopped playing consistently is because (for me) four times out of five golf frustrates me, and just plain ruins my day.

I stopped playing frequently when I moved to San Diego, where it is very expensive to play golf. Now that I've been at my parents more, I am playing because I have a couple friends who work in the proshop at the course closest to their house and I can practice/play for free.

manufan15 said:

im into tennis and i agree with it involving alot more

golf involves 3 times more then tennis though

I've golfed for i think 5 years now at Canyon Crest Country Club with private lessons from a professional. I play on High School varsity even though I'm only in grade 7 so I'm not bad... I average to play par golf which is 72 at my course.

blueovalboy7 said:
I know how much skill tennis takes, and I know I can't do it. I can assure you that there is much more to playing golf than you would imagine. Golf is boring to watch, not at all to play. Tennis in my opinion is even more boring to watch, and the constant grunting is annoying as all hell.

There is no one that will convince me to ever like tennis whatsoever. I can appreciate the talent needed to perform at a high level, but I find nothing about it appealing.

Ok, just that you're aware. And I know how much skill golf takes as well, but taking one swing and then walking a quarter of a mile doesn't appeal to me.

I acutally like watching golf when it goes into an extra hole, then it's exciting. But the three hours before that aren't that exciting. More exciting than NASCAR, I'll give it that. :lol:

manufan15 said:
More exciting than NASCAR, I'll give it that. :lol:

That's funny.

Though I always compare NASCAR and Soccer:

- 90% of the event is repetitive action (back and forth vs. round and round)

- Fans [of either] say there are subtleties that the lay person doesn't "get"

- Break aways/outs where an individual seems to suddenly separate themselves from the rest of the players/drivers (usually resulting in nothing)

- A few moments of intense action (scores, collisions, big passes) - note the latter two are applicable to both :)

[Edit: On Topic]

I've played on and off for years - never committed enough time to get very decent. It's much more frustrating than something like Tennis, where you can pick up a racket and be more capable (and have fun quicker) vs. picking up a club. Golf requires a little more skillset up front to be fun - nothing is _less_ fun than making 10+ shots on the same hole.

Most of my family plays, I have a stellar set of clubs, etc., maybe at some point here in my old age I'll get serious about it. I have a good friend who builds custom clubs and is a pro/consultant for a large shop here in town. He actually made it to the 2nd round for the big show a couple of times. He's offered several times to take me and the Wifey© out and give us some lessons (for free).

Last edited:
[DT] said:
That's funny.

Though I always compare NASCAR and Soccer:

- 90% of the event is repetitive action (back and forth vs. round and round)

- Fans [of either] say there are subtleties that the lay person doesn't "get"

- Break aways/outs where an individual seems to suddenly separate themselves from the rest of the players/drivers (usually resulting in nothing)

- A few moments of intense action (scores, collisions, big passes) - note the latter two are applicable to both :)

[Edit: On Topic]

I've played on and off for years - never committed enough time to get very decent. It's much more frustrating than something like Tennis, where you can pick up a racket and be more capable (and have fun quicker) vs. picking up a club. Golf requires a little more skillset up front to be fun - nothing is _less_ fun than making 10+ shots on the same hole.

Most of my family plays, I have a stellar set of clubs, etc., maybe at some point here in my old age I'll get serious about it. I have a good friend who builds custom clubs and is a pro/consultant for a large shop here in town. He actually made it to the 2nd round for the big show a couple of times. He's offered several times to take me and the Wifey© out and give us some lessons (for free).

Hmmm. You can say all you want, but that doesn't change the opinion of all the fans of football. (I'm going to call it that even though I'm in the US. That's what the sport should be called.) It's the most popular sport in the world based on it's skill and excitement.

People all over the world take off work for weeks while the World Cup is going on. Someone from Britian, take it away.

Thats your opinion though. Typical US opinion, but still an opinion.

manufan15 said:
Hmmm. You can say all you want, but that doesn't change the opinion of all the fans of football. (I'm going to call it that even though I'm in the US. That's what the sport should be called.) It's the most popular sport in the world based on it's skill and excitement.

People all over the world take off work for weeks while the World Cup is going on. Someone from Britian, take it away.

Thats your opinion though. Typical US opinion, but still an opinion.

There's another thing in common with Soccer and NASCAR fans: They can't take a little playful jab at their sport. :lol:

Hahaha! Lighten up Francis! :D

[DT] said:
There's another thing in common with Soccer and NASCAR fans: They can't take a little playful jab at their sport. :lol:

Hahaha! Lighten up Francis! :D

Honestly, it's just one of my personality flaws. Anything I'm interested in, it's as if I have to protect it. Second nature to me. Gets me into a lot of trouble, but sometimes arguements are fun. :wink:

Ah, well NASCAR... I love me some NASCAR, no honestly, I do. There are two drivers who are from my hometown so I root for them, and just something about 355 c.i. V8s pumping 850 horses gets me into it. I love power, and I love speed, so NASCAR really appeals to my personal tastes.

As for NASCAR being boring, yea there are some tracks where its quite boring, take Fontana (California Speedway, most boring race to watch IMO) but go to Bristol, Darlington, Talladega where there is constant action, passes, wrecks, and just chaos that I find myself loving every second of it.

@DT, you should take him up on those free lessons, they can't hurt and might make it more enjoyable for you. I've had probably 2 dozen lessons, and it helps, also if you're serious at all about golf I would suggest reading the book "Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" by Sports Psychologist Dr. Bob Rotella. After reading that book I dropped 8 strokes off my average, and that is no exaggeration. It helps with arguably the most important aspect of golf, the mental side.

Last edited:
Back