Backing up Virtual Console downloaded games

Legend456

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2007
I got an SD card and 2 wii points cards, among other things, for christmas. Anyway on the SD card on the back it says "backup your VC games" or something like that, so does it have to be plugged in to the wii when you are downloaded a game in order for it to back it up or can you put the SD card in after you download it and somehow save it. Also if your wii crashes or something can you take the SD card to another console and have your old games or what do they mean by back up the games if you cant save them on the SD card? Sorry this post is so long :p

You save them once the games/ files are downloaded and in your channels, then you go to the bottom left settings, and go to the memory of the wii, transfer to the SD card. You can only back them up and use them on your own system.

So I don't get the whole backing up thing though, doesn't that mean you are just saving the game twice? If something would happen to your Wii can you buy a new wii and use the SD card to get the VC game back?

Was also looking for an answer to this question.

Far as I can tell, you cant actually PLAY a game off an SD card.

Hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Looks like its used just to back them up and save you the trouble of redownloading them if you delete one to make room for a new one.

correct, you CANNOT play them off the SD card. it's there for puting music/pics and backing up the VC games. if your 4 pages of channels fill up, you can delete and copy at will.

if you get a new wii, you CANNOT copy the VC games onto the new wii (it's technically "pirating")

i had my wii replaced due to power issues and lost about $100 in VC content... even though i can log into my nintendo and see all the games i bought, nintendo says its not enough proof that i own the games... even though they have record of my first wii serial number being replaced with a new serial number... its bullshit!

Back