Build Your Own Baby

Plus tons of people are wasting money making their baby blonde-haired, when it would already be blonde. But that's besides the point.

Customizing your family members is defying the whole idea of family. Families are supposed to go through weird situations, it helps the younger ones come of age, and mature. But if you could choose your family, it makes it so people wouldn't ever have weird situations, so people wouldn't mature. Everyone would be stupid and have no common sense.
I agree with the defying of the family idea, but they aren't "choosing" their family. They are choosing how their family looks. What weird situations are you referring to? Why would people be stupid and have no common sense?

You just confused me with your logic.

There's bound to be some people who decide to make their baby ugly. You know it.

I agree with the defying of the family idea, but they aren't "choosing" their family. They are choosing how their family looks. What weird situations are you referring to? Why would people be stupid and have no common sense?

You just confused me with your logic.

I guess I got carried away in my thoughts and started thinking that people would be choosing what their family acts like. That happens a lot, I get carried away and start thinking weird things.

I don't know, I just think it would screw things up. You shouldn't try to mess with nature.

Yeah, somebody would make their baby ugly.

Uh...your genes are set out for you right when the egg is fertilised.

I had this huge post written up to prove the lack strength behind your argument, but it was lost >.>

You are correct that an embryonic cell has a set genetic code once the 23 chromosomes of each the sperm and egg are merged, however that does not mean it cannot be altered before and after differentiation, as research now proves. Your point?

I believe that an embryo at the stage of screening isn't really a "child" yet, anyway. There's potential for it to become this black-haired baby, but that doesn't mean it's a black-haired baby. Might as well be blonde.

Well actually, as soon as the embryonic stem cell is created naturally, its genetic code will not change through the differentiation process unless of course it's taken to a lab and its chromosomes messed with. But I get your point. After all scientific research has now proved capable of reverting an already differentiated adult skin cell into an embryonic stem cell before specialization. In simpler terms it is now possible to create life out of a single skin cell, with the same DNA of course (meaning a clone). Essentially it completely eliminates the need of the male reproductive system. Imagine life without sex >.>

This is currently with mice only, but once this process is made possible with humans, a whole new debate is opened. Would killing a human cell be destroying potential for human life?

Well actually, as soon as the embryonic stem cell is created naturally, its genetic code will not change through the differentiation process unless of course it's taken to a lab and its chromosomes messed with. But I get your point. After all scientific research has now proved capable of reverting an already differentiated adult skin cell into an embryonic stem cell before specialization. In simpler terms it is now possible to create life out of a single skin cell, with the same DNA of course (meaning a clone). Essentially it completely eliminates the need of the male reproductive system. Imagine life without sex >.>

This is currently with mice only, but once this process is made possible with humans, a whole new debate is opened. Would killing a human cell be destroying potential for human life?

I think you're kind of agreeing with me... the whole thing I was saying was in line with my thoughts toward abortion, that an early-stage embryo doesn't have the same identity that a "human" has, so this "black-haired person" who was genetically tampered with really doesn't exist.

Back