Classic Controller + Game Cube Controller in Virtual Console

Xanthan

Hardcore Gamer
Nov 30, 2006
Augusta, GA
Wii Online Code
6188-0435-3585-1038
Does anyone know if you can mix a classic controller and lets say a wavebird controller for both players in the same game?

I know you can use a classic + a wiimote. Can you do... lets say Player 1 in Mario brothers with a classic controller and Player 2 in Mario brothers with a wavebird Gamecube controller. The icon for Mario Brothers for the NES shows icons for wiimote, classic and gamecube controllers. Just wondering if you can mix and match GC + wiimote/classic.

Heh, I was going to post this same question but checked the seach option first! Horray!

Anyway... ericlewis91 said you can't... but is this confirmed? If you are playing a VC game with 2 player you need either 2 classic controllers or 2 gamecube controllers?

you can.....ive been playing mario kart like crazy and i use both....its cool....u j ust have to plug the gc controller in slot 2 and use your wiimote classic controler for first player...simple

It works perfectly. Just played 4-player Mario Kart 64 with 2 Classic Controllers and 2 Wavebirds.

Granted, some VC games require the Classic Controller, in which case Gamecube controllers are out, but if the game supports GC controllers, you can mix and match...

what u can even do which i found out when introducing my gf to mariokart 64, is have a classic controller plugged into the first wiimote, and then put a gamecube controller in slot 1, so then have 2 ppl controlling the same charactor, this lead to lots of confusion, as i was wondering why my charactor select kept moving and hers wasnt moving, never tryed it which actualy racing, but they were both definalty player 1 on the charactor select menu

Yeah, I discovered that too...couldn't figure out at first why my gamecube controllers were controlling players 1 and 2 instead of 3 and 4.

I figured since the classic controllers take precedence over gc controllers I should use gc ports 1 and 2. Boy had I come to the wrong conclusion, LOL...

That's a good point to remember...if you're using classic controllers for players 1 and 2, you have to use ports 3 and 4 for the gamecube controllers...

Back