Component cables install to video switcher

gozdad

WiiChat Member
Mar 26, 2009
Hi all, quick question. Just purchased component cables for my Wii and not sure how to connect them as the color coding is different on the cables from the switcher. The cables are marked red, red, blue green white. The switcher is marked red red blue green white and additional yellow imputs. Any ideas?

Thanks
Gozdad

you need to determine this on the cable...
one set of red & white is audio, make sure you have the correct red-end pluged into audio.

red, green, blue, is video, make sure you don't have this red-end crossed with the audio red-end.

yellow will not be used by you.

make sense?

Hi all, quick question. Just purchased component cables for my Wii and not sure how to connect them as the color coding is different on the cables from the switcher. The cables are marked red, red, blue green white. The switcher is marked red red blue green white and additional yellow imputs. Any ideas?

Thanks
Gozdad

The switch you have supports both component and composite.

Gidget explained the component side.

The yellow jack on each channel is for composite. You can only use one cable type in a given input slot (ie. you could use component in slot 1, composite in slot 2, etc., but you can't use both in one slot).

If you're only using component into the switch, then you only need component on the output (you can ignore all the yellow composite jacks). If you use a composite input on one of the slots, then you'll need both composite and component hooked up on the output (unless you have an expensive switch that will convert a composite input and send it out through component, I have a cheap $30 switch, which does not do this, and I don't think there are any cheap switches that will do this, only the more expensive quality a/v receivers).

Just to expand a bit on what Gidget mentioned, to figure out which red is audio and which red is video, the wires are generally grouped in order, so most likely the first 3 lines would be red/blue/green for video, then the next two would be red/white for audio.

Back