Component Cables?

the_peripheral

X, I'll own u N ELEBITS!
Nov 11, 2006
Wii Online Code
2256-8779-8853-1823
I have no idea what these are...but I understand that they make the graphics a little better or something.

Can somebody give me a link to what these are? And can they be used with just a regular tv? Or do you have to have some kinda flat screen tv for them?

The component cable generally has a higher image quality than the regular composite cables that come with the console. Also it enables progressive scan on HDTVs and EDTVs which improves the image quality even farther.

Wikipedia said:
Advantages of Progressive Scan:
* Subjectively increased vertical resolution.

The perceived vertical resolution of an interlaced image is usually equivalent to multiplying the active lines by about 0.6. This means that, when viewing progressive sourced material, a progressive display will show a more detailed image, when compared to a interlaced one, even if both have exactly the same display resolution.

* No flickering of narrow horizontal patterns
* Simpler video processing equipment

Last edited:
the_peripheral said:
I have no idea what these are...but I understand that they make the graphics a little better or something.

Can somebody give me a link to what these are? And can they be used with just a regular tv? Or do you have to have some kinda flat screen tv for them?
Just to add to what Evi1d33d said, yes, you'll need a TV that has component inputs, which are colored red, blue, green. If you don't have these inputs, then s-video is your next best bet; it has a sort of weird looking hole. Composite, the kind of cable that comes with Wii, is the lowest quality, but they will work on pretty much any TV.

Component cables can be bought either online or at one of a few game and electronic stores like EBGames and Circuit City for $30.

Ok thank you for your help, my friends.

Back