Controller Confusion

Pad264

WiiChat Member
Aug 10, 2007
I'm slightly confused about the various controllers that can be used. Do you need a Wii remote for Wii games, Gamecube remote for Gamecube games, and Wii Classic remote for downloaded games? Or are some of those interchangeable?

ex. Can I use a Gamecube remote on downloads or a Wii Classic remote on Wii games, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Wii Games = Wiimote Only*, [As it needs the Sensors]
Gamecube Games = Gamecube Controller
Virtual Games = Well, Before you download the game there are icons as to what you can use

*Some Wii games can be used with Gamcube controller. Such as Smash Bros. You'd have to check the casing on the game

All right, thanks guys. I hope the option is there with Madden, I could imagine it being difficult with a Wii remote.

Wii Games use the wii remote, some use only the wii remote itself, some require the nunchuck as well. The only exeption to this so far is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which will use the wii remote, nunchuck, gamecube controller and classic controller.

Gamecube Games can be played by using a Gamecube Controller

N64 Games can be played by using a Gamecube Controller or The Classic Controller addon for the wii remote.

Snes Games require you to use either a Gamecube Controller or a Classic Controller

Nes & Megadrive Games can be played with a Wii Remote (on its own), a Gamecube Controller or a Classic Controller

Last edited:
How confusing...

Wii Games - Wiimote*
Gamecube Games - Gamecube controller
Virtual Console NES Games - Wiimote
Virtual Console SNES Games - Classic or Gamecube controller
Virtual Console N64 Games - Classic or Gamecube controller

*Certain Wii Games give you the option to use other control methods however all Wii games can be played with the Wiimote.

And BTW, Madden 07 is great to play using the Wiimote.

Wiily Good said:
How confusing...

Wii Games - Wiimote*
Gamecube Games - Gamecube controller
Virtual Console NES Games - Wiimote
Virtual Console SNES Games - Classic or Gamecube controller
Virtual Console N64 Games - Classic or Gamecube controller

*Certain Wii Games give you the option to use other control methods however all Wii games can be played with the Wiimote.

And BTW, Madden 07 is great to play using the Wiimote.

this is exactly what i posted..so spam really

Yep, Madden is actually really good with the Wii controls. Playing football games any other way afterwards will just never be the same. Welcome to Wiichat!!!

list of wii games that use either wii remote or classic controller?

is there a list somewhere that shows the Wii games that will use the Wii remote or the classic controller - like Mortal Kombat?

Back