Dialog boxes distorted shape - "trapezoidal" in shape

fletch622

WiiChat Member
Nov 11, 2007
Hi all,

My first post here - I have been scrounging the internet for weeks trying to come up with a viable explanation, but to no avail. Hoping someone in the community here has some insight.

Ever since I got my Wii (over a month ago), I noticed that various dialog boxes in the Wii Menu, Virtual Console help files, email messages, the Calendar, etc. seem to take on a slightly trapezoidal shape. (i.e. the top left and right corners seem to be slanted inward, where the body of the box and the bottom corners are fine)

I called Nintendo several weeks ago (which, on a side note, the rep I spoke with didn't know what a trapezoid was... Geometry 101 needed here) and after realizing that none of the generic screen setting solutions worked (most pertained to a 16:9 widescreen television, I have a standard 4:3), we arranged to have it shipped out for service. They claimed to have replicated the problem, and ended up replacing the entire logic board in the unit.

Yet I still notice the same dialog box distortions as above, even with the new logic board in place.

Has anyone else out there had this same problem? If so, what was the cause of this, so I know what to tell the next NoA Customer Service rep if/when I need an additional service done on the unit?

On a side note, my television is less than a year old - never had display problems with the GameCube, DVD player, VCR, or standard cable tv input. A standard 4:3 tube unit, although with a flat front glass display, not curved.

Any information will be appreciated - thanks very much!

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume you tried more than one TV? Have you tried more than one source input? (video 1, video 2, colorstream, etc...) Right there will tell you if its the Wii or not hands down.

If it is the Wii you will have to plead with Ninty for a new claiming problem still exists, or keep sending for fixes until they say 'just take a new one.'

KyleForMe said:
Is it safe to assume you tried more than one TV? Have you tried more than one source input? (video 1, video 2, colorstream, etc...) Right there will tell you if its the Wii or not hands down.

If it is the Wii you will have to plead with Ninty for a new claiming problem still exists, or keep sending for fixes until they say 'just take a new one.'

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did try it on one other television prior to sending it back to NoA. However, now that my brother has moved back home (along with his tv) I will try there as well.

Not to mention that he has more than one set of AUX inputs to play with. (my tv only has one set of inputs - the DVD and VCR are built into the unit)

If all else fails, I have an older (2000-2001) Sony set sitting in the basement that has two Video inputs to test on as well. I'm trying to avoid sending it back again for unnecessary repairs, and to determine whether it is the television after all or the console.

To the other poster: as I am writing this from work at the moment (away from the Wii console), where are those screen refresh settings located that you mentioned?

The funny thing about all of this is that once you choose "OK"/"Cancel", for instance, at that moment where the dialog box is about to disappear, you can see it straightening out to its normal shape.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

After the details of your last post, I'm leaning towards the fact that it is your TV even more. Some TV's with built in VCR's have been known to cause distortions or color changes when used in conjunction with other devices. I could never use my PS2 on my brothers tv with a built in VCR (circa 1996 or so), because the screen brightness would constantly fade in and out.

So yeah try it out on another more recent tv, one without built in vcr or dvd. If this results in no fix/change, then clearly you need to get a new wii.

Hey - been a few weeks, haven't had the chance to follow up. (crazy work schedule)

So after trying on several televisions, Nintendo generously offered to replace my Wii. And guess what... the same annoying quirk existed. Even after a new A/V cable was sent to me, no change still.

Since it was exactly the same issue with a "new" (i.e. factory refurbished) system, I ended up sending that one back and keeping my original system, as I have quite a few V.C. games downloaded to it.

Coincidentally, I checked my girlfriend's Wii last week, and her's has the same exact issue. Her regular 4:3 television does not have a built in VCR/DVD.

So at this point, I'm convinced that there may be a general graphics distortion issue on any Wii attached to a regular 4:3 television with standard A/V connection.

In the future, when I've paid some bills down significantly, I'll see what it's like on an LCD widescreen television with component cables... the way it is meant to be seen. :)

But for now, it looks like I'll have to life with this.

thats very strange..can you get a pic of this..my old tv didnt have this problem (as far as I could remember)

Back