Distortion in MP3:C on LCD TV

Trkysndwch

WiiChat Member
Nov 21, 2007
Update - After a little reading, I'm thinking this may be caused by the GPU overheating issue. Will the overheating always cause artifacting in the same place as I am experiencing, or will it be random?

I was hoping some of you more experienced with the Wii on LCD TVs may be able to help me out with a display issue I am having.

I have the Wii hooked up to my 42" LCD TV with component cables. These are not the official Nintendo component cables, but third party cables that were bought from Target. The Wii is set to output 480p and 16:9.

I wasn't expecting the best picture with ED on an HD LCD, but was pleasantly suprised to find that overall it looked pretty good. I only have Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3 at the moment, so those are all I have been able to test with.

I am quite satisfied with the display quality except for one issue. In certain Metroid Prime 3 scenes, there is some distortion. This primarily occurs in cut scenes with the ship flying, but have seen it in one or two other places. If you open the larger version of the picture, you can notice vertical columns of black distortion mainly on the bottom of the screen. It stands out much more in person than in the picture. I have not seen this in Wii Sports or the few VC games that I have.

Its not that easy to explain so I will let a picture do the talking:
WII_MP3_1.jpg

Any idea what this is caused by? Is this due to faulty component cables? Perhaps it has to do with the TV doing a poor job of upscaling?

The TV is a Westinghouse TX42-F430S. It is a budget set, but I have had nothing but good luck with it and given a good input, it looks fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Back