Note to people using Nintendo's component cables with a TV and stereo receiver

themanfromvlad

WiiChat Member
Dec 7, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Wii Online Code
7063-2604-6222-3071
You're going to need an extension RCA audio cable. While the whole cable is quite long, the part where the cable splits into its five individual cables is not, only about six inches. So if you plug the component cables into your TV, the audio cables won't be able to reach your stereo receiver. Luckily, my LCD TV has RCA audio ins and outs, so I was able to connect nintendo's cable to my TV, and then use a sererate RCA cable from my TV to stereo receiver.

I'm using the official Nintendo cables, maybe someone who bought 3rd party cables can comment if they don't have this issue.

it is pretty much common knowledge that most of the time using a receiver, will require you to use seperate audio cables.

Last edited:
I don't think that's true. It's not like the Wii has a separate out for audio. So if you buy these cables, you'll also need to buy a set of audio cables. If you buy the Mad Catz component cables, you'll notice that they are designed properly, with the audio and video separated for a good portion of the cable.

I think you're confusing the wii component cable with component cables you'd buy for a DVD player.

themanfromvlad said:
I don't think that's true. It's not like the Wii has a separate out for audio. So if you buy these cables, you'll also need to buy a set of audio cables. If you buy the Mad Catz component cables, you'll notice that they are designed properly, with the audio and video separated for a good portion of the cable.

I think you're confusing the wii component cable with component cables you'd buy for a DVD player.

You are talking about how it is split into 5, and then all 5 end up in one sheathing. Yes, I can name off 4 brands that do it like that, Nintendo, Griffin, React, Psyclone.

Most people I know with receivers use seperate audio rcas anyways for organization purposes.

vagrant said:
You are talking about how it is split into 5, and then all 5 end up in one sheathing. Yes, I can name off 4 brands that do it like that, Nintendo, Griffin, React, Psyclone.

Most people I know with receivers use seperate audio rcas anyways for organization purposes.

I really don't know the purpose of your posts. I'm not discussing what other cables companies do or how your friends organise their cables. Yeesh.

For everyone else in the TV/Stereo Reciever boat:

-If you buy the Nintendo cable, you'll need to buy extra audio cables as well.
-If you buy the Mad Catz cable, or the third party cables being sold at Best Buy/FutureShop, they are designed properly, so you won't have to.

themanfromvlad said:
I really don't know the purpose of your posts. I'm not discussing what other cables companies do or how your friends organise their cables. Yeesh.

For everyone else in the TV/Stereo Reciever boat:

-If you buy the Nintendo cable, you'll need to buy extra audio cables as well.
-If you buy the Mad Catz cable, or the third party cables being sold at Best Buy/FutureShop, they are designed properly, so you won't have to.

The purpose of my post was to say, you should use seperate ones by practice anyways.

And they are all made properly. Properly just happens to not be directly for a receiver. Heck some component cables don't even come with the audio.

vagrant said:
The purpose of my post was to say, you should use seperate ones by practice anyways.

And they are all made properly. Properly just happens to not be directly for a receiver. Heck some component cables don't even come with the audio.

Vagrant,

We are not talking about a male-to-male component cables here. It's the Wii component cable. There is no separate audio out from the wii. You need to go from the proprietary wii video/audio out. So it is impossible to use separate cables in this case. You need to buy an RCA extension or if your TV has the inputs and outputs, use it with an additional cable. No person in their right mind would chose this over one cable that was properly designed.

I purchased the Wii component cables and also found that my audio cable wouldn't reach my receiver. it wouldnt have mattered but for some reason my tv didnt send the sound to the receiver with the Wii component cables. i ended up buying an audio optical cable and attaching that to my receiver and now all works perfect.

themanfromvlad said:
Vagrant,

We are not talking about a male-to-male component cables here. It's the Wii component cable. There is no separate audio out from the wii. You need to go from the proprietary wii video/audio out. So it is impossible to use separate cables in this case. You need to buy an RCA extension or if your TV has the inputs and outputs, use it with an additional cable. No person in their right mind would chose this over one cable that was properly designed.

Um yes, I am using a receiver at my place. I knew exactly what you meant.

This: http://sewelldirect.com/zip-linqrcaextension.asp for example has the male and female ends. That is what I mean by seperate cables.

And stop throwing the word "properly designed out. Technically you can just cut into the nintendo component cable if you want to seperate it anyways.

argh happened to me lol. i didn't know nintendo cable was so attached like that. I thought we could just like pull it apart, but i can't. It has a plastic block holding everything together. Honestly i don't want to take a knife and just cut through it. so yes i went to radioshack and i bought some extensions to reach my receiver which are a reach from the tv's inputs.

How about using a signal selector system?? You can plug all your stuff into it and minimize the amount of wires going into the receiver/TV set

Back