Downloading Updates to the Wii...

Branman123

WiiChat Member
Feb 11, 2007
I am pretty sure all Nintendo Wii buyers have experienced this, but...

I have bought a Nintendo Wii today at 10:30 AM. I brought it home at 10:45 AM. I have had everything set up at 11:15 AM. Started the Update at 11:20 AM...

35% Completed at 1:55 PM

As you can see, I have spent almost half my day waiting until this update is completed. I have a piece of tape on my screen to make sure it is still going. I have highspeed wireless internet which should be at least some factor of the downloading rate.

Is there any way to stop the process without damaging any of the data or hardware. I absolutely refuse to shut the power off manually as I have had some pretty bad experience in the past. I don't even want to try and get another nintendo wii until stores reguarly have them;

So what can be done? Do I actually have to wait until this is finished, or can someone officially tell me that I can stop this process safely with minimal unnoticed damage.

...I guess this is what happens when you try to update the Nintendo Wii when most of the local stores have them for sale, the servers this is being downloaded from must be packed with people.

I wish they can upgrade their servers or purchase a few more if that would help.

Total downloading time: 2 Hours 40 minutes. -65%

Edit- There has been a big jump since I started to type this up, about 65% done

Last edited:
My only suggestion is to move your Wii closer to your wireless router. That SHOULD increase the speed.
As far as I know, there is NO way to stop the update without pulling the plug manually. Hopefully it's nearly done by now.

To stop the update, press and hold the power button and it will turn off, and u will be able to restart it. That happened to me, and I was using some1 else's wireless connection.

Back