Evaluate my final year project anyone?

jakenoble

WiiChat Member
Dec 27, 2006
Hi all.

I am currently doing my final year project at university, which is to develop a web site which will ease the task of scheduling informal meetings between small groups of people.

The first draft of this site is done, and it would be useful if people could evaluate it. The site can be found at http://jakenoblewebs.co.uk/FYPJs/

It would be a goodeidea if you thought of a meeting that you would use such a site for, then fill the forms in accordingly. There is a short questionnaire also.

Note that any email addresses you enter will not be used to set up a meeting, and you will receive no email from me or anyone else by using this site.

Thanks for your time and for looking.

Jake

Last edited:
well it's poor in my opinon, i would seriously re-design, and re-word most things, as well as re-code it. It's all in javascript as far as i have looked, and that is VERY easy for someone just to hack, and could have your whole system down, hope your course doesn't envolve any of that.

the graphics look decent
the error messaging sucks (they cover up the textbox).
there are a bunch of runtime errors on the dates page.
the time doesn't display when you apply it to a meeting date.
runtime errors on the option page.
the large buttom on the bottom of the options page is really ugly; the large text in the large text area sucks as well.
The review & sumbit page only lets you submit, there is no review.
How do you re-access your meeting if you need to change something at a later time?
Where is the access control. . .you don't want someone else changing your meeting.

well it's poor in my opinon, i would seriously re-design, and re-word most things, as well as re-code it. It's all in javascript as far as i have looked, and that is VERY easy for someone just to hack, and could have your whole system down, hope your course doesn't envolve any of that.

Cheers for the feedback. Some critical analysis really brings it back into perspective. As for the re-design of layout, I am lost. I am rubbish at it and it took me ages to come up with this design. I should look about a but and find some complex forms and work from them? Re-wording needs to be done big style, that was hurried. The Javascript, I am not so hot on it. I will look into making it more secure, and I know the code needs to be tidied up a lot. How else could I validate the forms as the user fills them in? Javascript I thought was my only option.

the graphics look decent
the error messaging sucks (they cover up the textbox).
there are a bunch of runtime errors on the dates page.
the time doesn't display when you apply it to a meeting date.
runtime errors on the option page.
the large buttom on the bottom of the options page is really ugly; the large text in the large text area sucks as well.
The review & sumbit page only lets you submit, there is no review.
How do you re-access your meeting if you need to change something at a later time?
Where is the access control. . .you don't want someone else changing your meeting.

Yes error messages over the other form elements, not good now you say it! Its in the to-do list. Runtime errors on the dates page, that does not surprise me at all. Calendars are horrible things. Any chance you could post the errors, what browser were you using? Large button, argh! Didn't spot that, thats a complete mistake.

As for the re-access and editing of the meeting at a later date. That is also in the to-do section, I should have mentioned that. I am not sure how that is going to work in a secure way without having user log ins for meeting creators.

I will keep you all posted on my on going struggle!

Thanks again

Javascript is your only option on the user point of view, but just so you know, anyone can save your page, change all your links to go back to your website, then change the javascript.

Hmmm good point.

Of course once the data is posted to the Server it will be validated again, this should get around this problem. Your right from the user point of view Javascript is very good as it gives a real user up to date information about the data they have entered.

Validating the data again when it reaches the server is needed for security.

Does that clear up your worries?

Thanks CSIGUY4U, I do not have IE7. I cannot get it to work at all on my system. Microsoft your even worse at programming than me! :shocked:

I am currently trying to get IE7 to work on my machine by running a load of Anti Spyware programs. Apparently if you have Spyware then IE7 will not work.

I'll keep trying.

I have updated the pages. The site can be viewed again at http://jakenoblewebs.co.uk/FYPJs/ I have done most of the stuff that was mentioned.

As well as other things, like shift/control click on the calendar to select dates. A review page has been added at the end. I have not re-worded most of the text yet. I wanted to get the functionality sorted before I went and decided on the explanation of it all.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for your time.

Jake

No offence, but it's 4 in the morning and that border almost made me fall asleep. You can keep the colour theme just change the overall theme. No offence, once again. I get cranky when it's past 2 AM :).

Thanks, nice to hear that. There are still some parts that don't work. For example if you submit a meeting, then check your email and follow the link then the displayed dates are messed up. And not the same as the dates you entered for your meeting.

Back