Excite Truck Custom Soundtrack Confirmed

Wii_Rulez

Waluigi The Great
Jun 12, 2006
SC
Wii Online Code
3498-5538-0554-5440
The following is taken directly from the final Excite Truck instruction booklet:

Excite Truck allows you to listen to your personal MP3 music files during the game. By inserting an SD Card into your Wii console, you can choose the music you want to hear.

How to Select Music Tracks
1. Insert your SD Card into the Wii console.

2. Begin or continue a game and enter any race. Before the race begins, press + on the Wii Remote to access the Sound Options screen.

3. Select the "SD Card" option.

4. Any MP3 files available on your SD Card will be displayed (100 songs maximum). To choose a specific song for the race you are about to enter, highlight that song. You can also choose to randomize all songs shown for that course. Highlighting "Default" will play the standard in-game music.

5. Press 1 to return to the Sound Options menu, then 1 again to return to the pre-race screen. You can also use the "Sound" command at any point during the race to change the current song.
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding! Very nice find! I really wasn't sure if Nintendo would really push the power Wii has, but thankfully, at least in this case, I'm wrong. I wonder how difficult this feature is to implement, if it adds that much extra processing, and if this will be announced for more games before launch!

Just great!:D

more importantly why would you want to waste space on an SD card for music... they aren't that big to begin with...

-Edit- and anything that streams during gameplay is going to cost power but Excite truck really doesn't look to push the limits of Wii graphics, I imagine anything that does won't give you an option to suck power from the system that the game would need

Thats Stupid.....
For the Reasons: You need to buy like $50-60 to get a SD memorycard to just play music !
Xbox (The 1st) can play music on games without buying a SD memorycard.
I am disappointed :(

stu said:
sounds good, but how can u put music on a sd card?
You'd get a SD USB card reader.
Found the following reader for $3.99 at Newegg.com:
20-309-002-02.jpg

Rift said:
more importantly why would you want to waste space on an SD card for music... they aren't that big to begin with...
Um, did you read the thread? You would want to put music on the SD card so you could have your music playing instead of the game's music while playing the game, yet still be able to hear the in-game sound effects.

Have you even looked up how much SD cards can hold? A 1GB SD card can hold about 240 mp3 files, a 2GB card can hold about 500 mp3 files and a 4GB can hold 1000!!! As for cost, a 1GB can be found here for $16, a 2GB here for $31, and a 4GB here for $62. And who knows, Nintendo may allow external USB hard drives to be used for Wii since it has two USB 2.0 ports, making storage almost limitless.

wiicanchangetheworld said:
Thats Stupid.....
For the Reasons: You need to buy like $50-60 to get a SD memorycard to just play music !
Xbox (The 1st) can play music on games without buying a SD memorycard.
I am disappointed :(
No, you don't have to buy an SD card to hear music. The game has it's own music, but this game also lets you use music you've saved to an SD card.
Don't forget, the Xbox when it came out was $500 and it's only come down to $150 recently. You also had to have an original CD to put music on the hard drive and you had to rename all the songs, while the Wii just lets you save your music files to a card and all the info on the songs is kept.

Rift said:
-Edit- and anything that streams during gameplay is going to cost power but Excite truck really doesn't look to push the limits of Wii graphics, I imagine anything that does won't give you an option to suck power from the system that the game would need
Why do people keep assuming things that they have no proof of!!??:mad5:
Who said Wii was weak when it comes to it's hardware? The only place we really know Wii is "lacking" is in the graphics and it's already known it's twice as powerful as Gamecube and is a bit better than the Xbox. I can't wait til really high intensity games come out and use this feature and no lag will be found.

Last edited:
yeah well when you have to have all that space for VC games, why waste it on music... not all the kids on here can just go out and get all these SD cards for their music for games like excite truck for a feature that really isn't necesary... turn off the ingame music and play a radio... And I'm not saying the Wii is weak I'm saying that while this feature is allowed on excite truck you won't be playing your music on a system that is using all it's resources to play an awesome game... I want to see the Wii pushed too all it's limits, not keep something in reserve for people to play their own music in a game, which is about as useful as having it play DVD's....

Rift said:
yeah well when you have to have all that space for VC games, why waste it on music... not all the kids on here can just go out and get all these SD cards for their music for games like excite truck for a feature that really isn't necesary... turn off the ingame music and play a radio... And I'm not saying the Wii is weak I'm saying that while this feature is allowed on excite truck you won't be playing your music on a system that is using all it's resources to play an awesome game... I want to see the Wii pushed too all it's limits, not keep something in reserve for people to play their own music in a game, which is about as useful as having it play DVD's....
Well, you have a right to your own opinion.:) I'd personally rather have this feature than the ability to play DVDs. I don't like to assume things as I said above, but it doesn't sound like you have a surround sound system. I'm not putting you don't about that at all, many people don't have them for various reasons from cost to space. I'm no rich person, I don't have an HD TV, just two tube TVs in the house, my whole room cost around $2000 which is pretty cheap considering how much I would have spent if I had bought everything new; salvation army is my friend.:D Anyway, back to my point, if you don't have a surround sound system and don't plan on getting one very soon in the future, then I can understand why this feature doesn't interest you. However, there are a lot of people who do have surround sound (I spent only $200 on mine) and this feature would be great because it would play your music and the game's sound effects through the speakers, rather than having an external source like a radio or CD player that doesn't sound even close to as good. If you don't want to pay for an SD card then don't, although most people can afford $15 for a 1GB which could hold 240 songs, but you could just fill it with like 100 songs and leave the rest open for VC games. Don't forget, NES and SNES games will be quite small and can be saved to Wii's internal 512MB. I say the more features the better. I get so pissed with games sometimes because they'll have great gameplay, sound effects, graphics, etc, but their soundtrack sucks. Why wouldn't you want the option to listen to music of your choice through good speakers?

I definitely see the point, I've played plenty of games with a weak soundtrack, but now with the need for all aspects of a game to be top notch companies have started investing quite a bit more into creating the best soundtrack to compliment the game and even use that soundtrack to hint at moments where action or reaction is required. Some games the feature will probably be nice but still not necessary, other games I think a person can only play by hearing that music that makes the air around them part of the game... As to the set it you could be right my opinion stemming from my putting choice to shell out the bucks for 7.1 on the computer and speakers all around play my music and many movies that way instead of the TV... The TV only has a few speakers off a receiver and a sub for just gaming... and also I agree with the games being stored on the 512 flash in the console but we are talking about 20 years of gaming that will fill that and plenty more in years to come, that's a lot of money that many can't afford in SD cards, I'm thinking just get a masivve external HDD which hopefully can be used to store everything, but again money...

Ah, now I get where you are coming from. If I had both a 7.1 PC surround sound system and two tweeters and a sub for the TV then I wouldn't think the feature was necessary either.

As for storing VC games on an external HDD, that would be awesome, but unfortunately it appears that Nintendo won't allow that as you can read in the following interview with Nintendo:
Can games be stored on external media such as SD cards, and what happens if you run out of storage space?

Nintendo: Games that are downloaded can be stored either to the Wii's internal memory (512MB) or onto SD cards, which plug into the SD slot on the front of the Wii. In addition the console also stores a history of all of your downloads so that if you have to delete any VC games for any reason you could re-download them for free at a later date.

Will you be able to take your VC games to a mate's house, say, on an SD card?

Nintendo: No. All VC games will be locked to the console they are downloaded on so even if they are on an SD card they can't be used on other machines. You will have to take your Wii with you.
Source

This is a pitty, but I imagine there will be an (illegal) way around this.:D
Shoot, we're paying for these games, so why can't I bring them on an SD or HDD to a friend's house and play them just like any other game I buy? (I know it's to stop piracy, but when you can get ROMs of these games already on PC for free.)

Excellent. But this game is loosing its appeal to me. Its seems too arcady, which isn't a bad thing, its just that I want to use the controller and notice my movements more, and I don't think this is possible on excite truck because its too fast pace.

Even though, I don't like NFS much, It will probably be my first racing game on the Wii.

Back