Family Ski first third party Wii title to use Balance Board

james24uk

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2007
http://www.nintendic.com/news/1463

When Nintendo first announced Wii Fit and the Wii Balance Board accessory at this year’s new-look E3, reports suggested that third parties (gaming and non-gaming) were clambering over the device with ideas of how to use it in upcoming titles. However, no word of this has been mentioned since - until now. Namco’s Family Ski will be playable with the weight-scales-alike accessory.

The discovery was made in an advert or magazine scan uncovered by Wiiz, one in which the Wii Balance Board is clearly pictured. Skiing, snowboarding and skateboarding titles are amongst the first ideas that spring to mind when wanting to incorporate the Wii Balance Board into games, so we’re not too surprised - that said, we are pleased at the news and excited to see how it might turn out.

Not a whole lot is known about Family Ski at present, other than that it is being worked on by the same team responsible for Ridge Racer. In addition, similarly themed titles Jockey Family and Family Stadium are also said to be in the pipeline. Will these also be Wii Balance Board-compatible? We shall see.
family-ski-ad.jpg

I really don't understand how the balance board is going to inspire any truly good games due to the limited market for whatever game is developed. What is the board sells 600,000 units? Is someone going to want to fight over a fraction of that market?

^^ Thats a good point. And for that reason I don't think we will see any high profile titles, just lower budget ones like this ski game (by the makers of ridge racer, another bottom of the list competitor).

A game like this ski one will probably not be very in depth, like ssx blur for example. It will just be a sim like the old arcade ones.

the balance board is something new and different, people will buy it just to see what its all about..it will be a phase and thats it, collecting dust in the basement after the first month or so

There is no way that Wii Fit and the Balance board wont do huge business. Also mabye companies will offer both the wii-mote nunchuk option with the option of balance board control. therefore not limiting their market.

Doesn't look very exciting really.

But then again, I was never sold on the whole balance board idea.

the whole balance board thing is just dumb in my opinion. wii fit never really interested me and these dumb gimicky games that are going to start popping up once the board is released deffinately dont interest me.

I don't think wii fit is a dumb idea I just don't think the balance board is going to get a lot of support.

Actually I love the idea of a balance board if it's part of the Wii. Maybe the Wii 2 or "WiiWii" will come with the balance board.

It probably just offers the option of using the balance board as a controller rather than requiring it. At least that would be the smarter thing to do from a sales perspective.

I think the Ski game is a good use of the board, I don't get why you guys bash it. What else are we going to do with that stupid balance board? Oh well.

People buy those shitty dance mats for PS2 so im sure people will buy a balance board that can be used for many things such as games and also fitness... we will see.

Back