FFVII with Wii controls

Masaman

Jun 20, 2007
I know it's all pie in the sky but when SquareEnix were quoted as being very interested in the Balance Board for an RPG it got me wondering about the possibilities of Wii controls for FFVII.

The obvious use of the balance board would be on the snowboard level (and subsequent arcade game in the Golden Saucer) but I think it could also be used to manoeuvre the motorbike, leaving you free to use the wiimote as your sword. Chocobo racing would also be big fun using the balance board. The golden saucer could really be expanded into sqaure/wii wonderland!

I think the wiimote could also be progressed passed a simple 'waggle' for things like limit breaks etc.

Do you think the pointer would hinder battle progress or speed up menu selection (ie point at 'heal' then point at the character rather than arrow navigation) or could it add something fresh to the already amazing gameplay?

It's an interesting concept, but if they remade FFVII for the Wii, I don't think they should use the Wiiboard.

As for the command selection, I think it's quicker to have traditional cursor (controlled using the analogue stick). The minigames would work well with the Wiimote. I think on the menu screens would be a good place to use the cursor though. Imagine drag and drop materia! I don't think they should change it too much, but enough to warrant the Wiimote.

I think if they were to remake Final Fantasy VIII however, because of the 4 command limit, they could have assigned commands to the D pad. Also, swinging and pressing the B button would replace the action of Squall's tap A and at the right time hit R2 button.

I believe that with the superior graphics of the Wii (compared to the PSX originals anyway), and the unique control system, coupled with the fact that the Wii has proven to be an insanely popular console, that if they were to remake it, they would rake in the money.

Drag and drop Materia...genius!

Even though the Wii gets a bad reputation for ports and being a cash cow to fund other developments it would seem sensible (and highly profitable) to bring quality titles like these to the Wii. If Square made a commitment, say, to bring 7,8,9 to the console (as with the recent DS updates) with updated graphics and game mechanics, even if they were using the money to fund PS3 projects, who would argue?!!

Their interest in the balance board intrigues me but you can only hope something of substance is developed rather than something gimmicky.

Back