Free VC games on SD card...?

JHoersten2

Wii Powerhouse
Nov 19, 2006
So, you can download the Virtual Console games to the SD card, huh? Well, what if I were to go online, and download one of the same games, or even possibly a Wii game onto an SD card and plug it into the Wii?

What if I were to load any type of emulator or rom onto a SD card and insert it? ...and what if I don't connect the Wii online so they can patch it? :ee5k:

So many options, wonder if nintendo covered all the loopholes.

JHoersten2 said:
So, you can download the Virtual Console games to the SD card, huh? Well, what if I were to go online, and download one of the same games, or even possibly a Wii game onto an SD card and plug it into the Wii?

What if I were to load any type of emulator or rom onto a SD card and insert it? ...and what if I don't connect the Wii online so they can patch it? :ee5k:

So many options, wonder if nintendo covered all the loopholes.

If I saved a VC game to SD and gave it to you you would not be able to play it on your Wii. It does have security to that effect. The knoledge to edit these files TO work on different Wiis afaik is not there yet.

Regular rom files will not work as they are not ported to run on the Wii OS nor use the controls. There is a way to use Gamecubes Action Replay to load ROMS and I believe that limits you to the GC controllers.

Also some have said that you can setup the DNS on your router to point the VC server to your own computer and host the files for download. More research is needed to figure out the inner workings of doing this. If we are able then there is the possibility of a third party server hosting free games for download.

All that said, Nintendo has the ability to update the councils so as long as it is connected to thier server then there is the possibility of these abilities going away.

-Bobby

Actually someone already cracked the Wii so it could play roms they downloaded, thats the only thing I will say about it too because I don't endorse such things as Roms.

Its called Digital Rights Management (DRM), and its the curse of all evil. Anyways Nintendos VC state they are licenses to the user who bought it, it's not 'SOLD' to you. Don't you love legal wording?

xbandaidx said:
Actually someone already cracked the Wii so it could play roms they downloaded, thats the only thing I will say about it too because I don't endorse such things as Roms.

Its called Digital Rights Management (DRM), and its the curse of all evil. Anyways Nintendos VC state they are licenses to the user who bought it, it's not 'SOLD' to you. Don't you love legal wording?

That was the Gamecube workaround I stated. If there is a way to run roms straight from SD I am not aware of it yet and would be very interested in a link to more info please :D

-Bobby

no you cant, because it accesses the game from the online store, it only runs on that system, so downloading stuff off internet wont work

Back