Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Free VC games on SD card...?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by JHoersten2, Nov 27, 2006.

1. JHoersten2

JHoersten2 Wii Powerhouse

So, you can download the Virtual Console games to the SD card, huh? Well, what if I were to go online, and download one of the same games, or even possibly a Wii game onto an SD card and plug it into the Wii?

What if I were to load any type of emulator or rom onto a SD card and insert it? ...and what if I don't connect the Wii online so they can patch it? :ee5k:

So many options, wonder if nintendo covered all the loopholes.

2. ortizzle

ortizzle DDR master

hmmmm homebrew possibilites

3. Big_Mill

Big_Mill WiiChat Member

Its a bit simple really isnt it. Im sure they would make it more difficult than just putting a rom on your SD card and playing it on your wii,

4. bobby1211

bobby1211 R.I.P. Digii

Wii Friend Code: 6278-1240-3243-3822
    6278-1240-3243-3822
    If I saved a VC game to SD and gave it to you you would not be able to play it on your Wii. It does have security to that effect. The knoledge to edit these files TO work on different Wiis afaik is not there yet.

Regular rom files will not work as they are not ported to run on the Wii OS nor use the controls. There is a way to use Gamecubes Action Replay to load ROMS and I believe that limits you to the GC controllers.

Also some have said that you can setup the DNS on your router to point the VC server to your own computer and host the files for download. More research is needed to figure out the inner workings of doing this. If we are able then there is the possibility of a third party server hosting free games for download.

All that said, Nintendo has the ability to update the councils so as long as it is connected to thier server then there is the possibility of these abilities going away.

-Bobby

5. xbandaidx

xbandaidx WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 4857-5695-0490-5844
    4857-5695-0490-5844
    Actually someone already cracked the Wii so it could play roms they downloaded, thats the only thing I will say about it too because I don't endorse such things as Roms.

Its called Digital Rights Management (DRM), and its the curse of all evil. Anyways Nintendos VC state they are licenses to the user who bought it, it's not 'SOLD' to you. Don't you love legal wording?

6. bobby1211

bobby1211 R.I.P. Digii

Wii Friend Code: 6278-1240-3243-3822
    6278-1240-3243-3822
    That was the Gamecube workaround I stated. If there is a way to run roms straight from SD I am not aware of it yet and would be very interested in a link to more info please :D

-Bobby

7. phrogxix

phrogxix WiiChat Member

As far as I've seen, the only way to load ROMs thus far is the old Action Replay way.

8. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

no you cant, because it accesses the game from the online store, it only runs on that system, so downloading stuff off internet wont work