Game Saves to SD - One for each user?

TechLife

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2011
Denver, CO
We are buying the kids a Wii for Christmas. We have 3. One of them is 3. He has a bad habit of saving over the older kids saved games. From a bit of reading, I see it is possible to save to an SD card. What would be ideal is to give each of the older 2 their own SD card on which to save their games. The little one can save on the console directly...he doesn't care if it gets deleted yet. Is this possible? Would it be easy for them to do? Is there another method? If I hear screaming that, "He deleted my profile!" one more time, I'm going to scream and quite possibly ban them from video games altogether.

Thanks in advance!!

As far as I know, saving to an SD card is a manual procedure that doesn't happen automatically in the game. You need to copy a game's save data to the SD card by going into the Wii save data management menu from the Wii's main menu (click the wrench in the lower left hand corner), after you're done playing a game and it has saved like normal.

Unfortunately, games with online multiplayer capabilities (Call of Duty, Mario Kart, etc.) can't have their save data saved to an SD card. Even worse is that when copying save data to your SD card, it will copy the entire game's save data; you can't save or load individual files, profiles, etc. to/from an SD card. You can however back up your little ones' save data so if one saves over the other's, you can recover the old one back.

So yeah, it's not the most convenient and simple procedure. So long as the other two youngin's aren't five they might be able to learn how to do it. Hope this helps prevent some future headaches. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your response. I really wish they would just set things up like on the PS3 where you can have multiple users. The older two are 11 and 9 so I can definitely teach them to do it. I'll get each of them their own SD and let them know it is their responsibility to backup when they are done or risk losing it.

Again, thanks for the response!!

One little thing to mansion yet, is (as a SD card user) when you need or use a different Wii (broken, playing with friends who don't have the same games) you first have to play the game, from which you need the data, on the console or else it won't recognize the game data. I don't want to make it harder for you, but it's good to know before throwing the card's away.

Back