Help! Wii won't recognize LAN adapter

Guitarsmasher108

Generic Title
Jan 1, 2007
Wii Online Code
7159-9949-3697-1168
My problem is that when I try to get a wired connection with my Wii, it won't recognize the Nintendo LAN adapter plugged into the USB port. I know this because when I try to find out the MAC address for the LAN adapter, it doesn't show up where it's supposed to. The Wii recognized it about a month ago but it can't now and I don't understand why. I take very good care of my things, so the adapter can't be broken, and my USB keyboard works in both USB ports on the Wii, so the USB ports work fine. Can anyone help me out?

how do you know that the Wii isnt recognizing it?

are you sure the ethernet cable is connected properly?
i dont remember if the lights on the LAN adapter work without it plugged into a router.

i thought the Wii had a MAC address, not the LAN adapter. maybe i'm wrong.
why do you need the MAC address for it if you're plugged into the router?

Awesome, I just sent Nintendo an e-mail, so hopefully i can get a free adapter that way too.

And to answer Moe's questions, the LAN adapter does have its own MAC address separate from the Wii, and when it's plugged into the Wii, the Wii recognizes its MAC address. And the LAN adapter that I have doesn't have lights on it, maybe you're thinking of the Wi-fi adapter?

Yes, each network device should have a uniquie MAC address. The Wii has a built in Wi-Fi adapter, so that is where that MAC comes from and your LAN Adapter also will have a different MAC address. Good luck with getting your adapter to work...

i should have known that, done enough home networks, should have thought about it

the LAN adapter has lights on it (at least the one i have)

i haven't used it in a while so i dont exactly remember...
most cards/onboard LAN light up when it is getting a signal (from either a modem, router, or another computer), meaning... no light, no connection.
i dont remember if mine lit up when it was plugged into my Wii only
it's a possibillity that the ethernet cable is messed up or something

did you understand that?
i've been a little out of it today, work wore me out this week so i kinda ramble..

Guitarsmasher108 said:
Awesome, I just sent Nintendo an e-mail, so hopefully i can get a free adapter that way too.

And to answer Moe's questions, the LAN adapter does have its own MAC address separate from the Wii, and when it's plugged into the Wii, the Wii recognizes its MAC address. And the LAN adapter that I have doesn't have lights on it, maybe you're thinking of the Wi-fi adapter?

How did you get a LAN adapter free?

Back