Help with getting the Wii online!

swatson

WiiChat Member
Aug 20, 2007
Hi all,

I'm experiencing something slightly odd with my Wii.

Got it at the weekend, and went through connecting it to my wireless network at home. Went through all the usual, entered the sceurity key, tested the connection, all good. It performed an update, which ran okay - but it then told me it couldn't connect to the network. When I went through the settings, it told me the secutiry key was wrong.

Finding that a little odd, I restarted the Wii, and it connected okay, and ran another system check, Came back telling me my Wii was up-to-date . . . but then when I tried to go to the Wii Shop Channel, same error as before - couldn't connect to the network.

So, I restarted - and went straight into the Wii Shop Channel, which worked a treat. It worked okay for a while, and then I shut the untit down, after turning on WiiConnect24.

A few hours later, the disk tray started blinking blue, so I booted it back up to see what was new. Guess what? Can't connect to the network, security key is incorrect.

I now seem to be stuck in this piankful loop, with the Wii either not able to connect at all, or, connecting for a short period of time then dropping off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

swatson said:
Hi all,

I'm experiencing something slightly odd with my Wii.

Got it at the weekend, and went through connecting it to my wireless network at home. Went through all the usual, entered the sceurity key, tested the connection, all good. It performed an update, which ran okay - but it then told me it couldn't connect to the network. When I went through the settings, it told me the secutiry key was wrong.

Finding that a little odd, I restarted the Wii, and it connected okay, and ran another system check, Came back telling me my Wii was up-to-date . . . but then when I tried to go to the Wii Shop Channel, same error as before - couldn't connect to the network.

So, I restarted - and went straight into the Wii Shop Channel, which worked a treat. It worked okay for a while, and then I shut the untit down, after turning on WiiConnect24.

A few hours later, the disk tray started blinking blue, so I booted it back up to see what was new. Guess what? Can't connect to the network, security key is incorrect.

I now seem to be stuck in this piankful loop, with the Wii either not able to connect at all, or, connecting for a short period of time then dropping off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

unfortunately, there are loads of different issues with the Wii's wifi connection
and narrowing them down to one particular cause has proved to be difficult.

from a personal point of view, i don't have Wiiconnect24 turned on. i know
i can't access certain stuff (weather / news etc) but at least i always have
am available internet connection when i need it. if there's an update available
i simply enable wiiconnect and complete the update.

out of curiosity, what form of wireless security are you using, WEP or WPA?

Hi!

Thanks for the reply - I'm using WEP security

swatson said:
Hi!

Thanks for the reply - I'm using WEP security

have you tried using WPA instead?

you could also try altering your MTU size.....try larger first, say 1500
if that still gives you problems, try lowering it.

Back