Internet Connection

bdiddie7

WiiChat Member
Jan 5, 2007
I just bought the Wii and now I am wondering how to hook it up to the internet. I current use a cable modem for my computer and I am wondering what I need to buy in order to get connected. I know I need a wireless connection but should I get a router or should I get something that plugs into the USB and convert it into wireless? Basically what is good to use?

"something that plugs into the USB and convert it into wireless"

(Just to explain: I seriously doubt anything that does that even exists. If it did, routers would be obsolete, and nobody would buy them or make them.)
I've never heard of such a magical device ever even existing, so..

Get a router. I'd recommend a Linksys WRT54GL.

This is where I got mine from: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17408

Uh, not only do they exists, but Nintendo makes them.

The problem with them is the computer must be on to utilize an Internet connection. With a router, each device connects directly to the router.

I prefer a router for several reasons. #1, it protects the devices behind it by acting as a firewall. #2, You don't have to have the computer on for your wireless devices to access the Internet. #3, You can find a wireless router for about the same price as the USB device.

I use Ninty's USB dongle, but only because I can't get my router working (please, someone reply - my thread's on the first page and it's called "Wii Online with D-Link DI-624M?" or something to that effect). For me, it's been totally rubbish.

The setup automatically creates a shared connection, so basically it links the USB device into your internet connection. However, this doesn't work for me, so I need to delete the share and create a network bridge between the two connection. So far, so good. It connects, I play, and, when I've had enough, I turn my computer off, or take the USB stick out of the socket. However, at this point, the program used to accept connections to the USB device shuts down. When I try to open it again, it appears greyed out on the task bar and I can't open it or coax it into working. The only option then is to uninstall it, delete the network bridge (since the setup tool forces you to anyway), reinstall it, delete the shared connection again and, finally, set up a network bridge. Again.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but bear it in mind if you're considering buying one of these.

EDIT: Oh, also, if my DS is already connected to the USB device, my Wii can't connect.

Back