Internet works, server works, can't connect to players...

Pinko

WiiChat Member
Oct 14, 2007
So I've had a week from hell trying to get an online game going on Madden 08 and FIFA 08. Now I have no problem connecting my wii to the internet and I have no problem getting on EA's servers. The problem is when I try to challenge another player, the system thinks and then gives me the message "Connection to opponent lost. Session has ended."

At first I thought it was a port forwarding issue so I did some research and forwarded all the ports required. When that didn't work, I thought maybe my router itself was the problem so I went out and spent a hundred bucks on a linksys. I went through the whole port forwarding/triggering routine but after hours upon hours on the phone with tech support and doing research on online forums, I still could not connect to other players online. At this point I am suspecting the problem may be my ISP (I'll get to that later).

Interesting side note, I took my Wii over to a friend's apartment and I got connected to online players within seconds. He also uses a router (however, we didn't need to forward any ports or make any adjustments) but he uses a different ISP than myself.

I also became suspicious that my ISP is the problem after the tech person from linksys and i spent hours exhausting all my options. He told me that it seems that the problem might be eminating from my ISP. So to test whether the problem is my ISP I went out and bought a LAN adapter for the wii and tried to connect to a game through a wired connection. Again, the internet worked, I got a connection to EA's server but still could not connect to a game with other players.

My ISP's name is Novus (local downtown Vancouver cable and internet provider) and they actually provide an extremely fast fibre optic ethernet connection straight out of the wall (no modem, the entire building is wired for fibre optic internet). When I called Novus' help desk, the guy insisted that they don't block any ports and that he "personally knows people who game online with the wii through Novus' internet service." What put me off quite a bit is that nobody at Telus, EA, or Nintendo had any clue or suggestions as to why I cannot connect to other players online. So I humbly and desperately have come to this forum in hopes of finding an answer (even if that answer tells me i'm screwed, at least I would know and can move on!)

So, my question to all of you is: is there some issue that prevents the wii from working with fibre optic internet providers? Is there anything else I could do to get these games working online? Is there anything I can demand my ISP to do? By the way, I asked them to give me a static IP to see if that would help and they answered "we don't give out static IPs for testing purposes."

It sounds to me that Novus is in fact blocking specific ports and that the tech-rep obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. If in fact this tech-rep does know gamers to whom have connected to EA, and not Nintendo's servers, then the administrators of the network could have blocked the required ports for your local "node". Exact details would require examining the network diagram that would detail exactly how Novus's network is configured to be able to locate which piece of hardware along your network lines is filtering it, which most technical support of any kind don't want to actually perform actual "work" therefore are quick to attempt to avoid it.

There is no other logical explanation however, as somewhere along your network tree there is something blocking this specific port. This may not be filtered by there primary servers and in which could prove to be a royal pain to get them to search it out and correct it.

A couple questions however, are you using a fibre optic network card? Or are you still connecting it via copper eithernet? Typical "fibre optic" setups usually use this sort of (exensive) cable to power there sub-nets and backbone, and is RARELY offered directly for public connect due to it's high price tag. If you are using copper from the wall to your computer, and it is still using traditional style of networking, then your connection will run through one or more router/switches before it even reaches Novus's internet backbone. It's very likely that for some odd reason one of these routers/switches is filtering out your desired port, even if Novus's backbone is not.

Thanks for taking the time to address my post Kris. That is interesting what you mentioned in your last paragraph about fibre optic connections. My connection is what I'm guessing you refer to as "copper" (my internet is connected directly to my computer from the wall via an ethernet cable). It isn't that expensive for me, however, because I live in a relatively new apartment building that signed a contract with Novus while the building was being constructed. Hence, the entire apartment complex is wired so that every apartment unit is capable of getting fibre optic internet without any sort of technician coming to install a jack in the wall. In other words, the apartment was built fully equipped for Novus' fibre optic service. This is great, on the one hand, because their internet speeds are the fastest that I have ever experienced (downloads as fast as 7mbps) but the downside is that it is virtually impossible to choose the local cable internet provider if one wants to because Novus also has a contract with the building to provide cable (which is included in our rent charges). So now if I want to go to alternative ISP, my only other option is the local phone company's DSL service which is not the fastest option (but it, on the bright side, known as the most stable).

Back to your point about my wall connection. If it is true that my port is being blocked without Novus' knowledge, what would you say are my options? Since I am paying monthly for the internet and online gaming is a big reason why I want the internet, do you think I should just snub Novus and go for DSL (slower but also known for reliability and good tech support)? Or, is there a way to force Novus to check those ports that are filtering out my connection?

Pinko said:
Back to your point about my wall connection. If it is true that my port is being blocked without Novus' knowledge, what would you say are my options? Since I am paying monthly for the internet and online gaming is a big reason why I want the internet, do you think I should just snub Novus and go for DSL (slower but also known for reliability and good tech support)? Or, is there a way to force Novus to check those ports that are filtering out my connection?
I wouldn't "snub" them just yet, and recommend you hound them to correct the issue at hand first. I'd suggest requesting a supervisor if phone support continues to wish to argue with you, or ask to speak to a higher grade (more qualified) technician. I'm not sure of Novus's technical support charges however another option would be insisting a technician come to your home to verify that in fact this port is being blocked to this specific address (probably any address for that matter) and to resolve the argument if they continue to insist that it is not blocked.

Sometimes you have to be a bit demanding with some companies, as most places who still provide phone service often have timers to which if there average is beyond the set requirement they could risk loosing there jobs. For this reason these people will say just about anything (within reason) to remove you from there line in order to preserve there time count as well as there employment. :)

Last edited:
I assume you bought/use routers because the connection goes like this:

Wall>router>pc and not wall>pc straight right(silly question)?

You also said the whole building is wired to that provider. Maybe there's a central switch/router at ur buildings reception/,machinery kind room? Supposing thats true, then maybe it has its own kind of firewall. You use ur computer for online gaming too, works fine?

New ISP, problem fixed!

Thanks for your help guys. I decided I was fed up with Novus' tech support and I just got a new DSL connection today. Well, as I suspected, I no longer have any problems playing online and I feel completely liberated from a shitty tech support staff that wouldn't give my problem the time of day. Its unfortunate because the speed of a fibre optic connection is pretty unrivaled, but -in the end- what use is a fast connection if i cannot use it for something as simple as online gaming. So, who wants to play a match on FIFA 08?? :smilewinkgrin:

Pinko said:
Thanks for your help guys. I decided I was fed up with Novus' tech support and I just got a new DSL connection today. Well, as I suspected, I no longer have any problems playing online and I feel completely liberated from a shitty tech support staff that wouldn't give my problem the time of day. Its unfortunate because the speed of a fibre optic connection is pretty unrivaled, but -in the end- what use is a fast connection if i cannot use it for something as simple as online gaming. So, who wants to play a match on FIFA 08?? :smilewinkgrin:
Glad to hear the good news.

Sorry you had to ditch them, was hoping they'd act like they card and hoped they'd fix the problem. Unless you like to download large amounts of data a small speed difference in a broadband connection isn't going to matter too much. Also, just because they have fibre optic cable, doesn't mean they are not throttling it as well. :wink:

Sorry, no FIFA '08 however :)

Thanks, and i hope other people consider this...

KrisKhaos said:
Glad to hear the good news.

Sorry you had to ditch them, was hoping they'd act like they card and hoped they'd fix the problem. Unless you like to download large amounts of data a small speed difference in a broadband connection isn't going to matter too much. Also, just because they have fibre optic cable, doesn't mean they are not throttling it as well. :wink:

Sorry, no FIFA '08 however :)

I noticed a lot of people who cannot get online are quick to blame Nintendo or EA (in fact, that was my initial reaction until i realized that I could connect at a friend's house). So many people on online forums are saying "EA sucks! They have the worst servers!" To all those people, you should really look into whether your ISP is run by douche bags.

Another cool thing about my new ISP is that they sent me a free wireless, wi-fi enabled Siemens gateway modem. So now i can have both my laptop and wii running at the same time without having to go out and buy an expensive router. Pretty sweet!

My letter to Novus...

To whom it may concern (and from what I've experienced you won't be concerned at all),

Yesterday I finally made the long overdue decision to cut ties with Novus as my internet service provider. I decided to go with Telus' DSL service over Novus' fast fibre optic connection that is completely useless due to a horribly arrogant and lazy technical support team. It is a shame that it has come to this because Novus has a lot of potential and, once upon a time, I encouraged everyone I knew downtown to connect with Novus.

My issues all began after I had bought a Nintendo Wii with intention of playing certain games online. Actually, it started several months before that when I tried to get my Playstation 2 online, but that story would make this letter too long and I feel like I have wasted enough time dealing with this inept company. When I tried to connect my wii online through my router I was able to access the web browser that is on the Wii and I was also able to able to connect to Electronic Arts' servers where online games are setup. However, I was unable to connect to other players online and figured that I needed to get some ports opened. So I called Novus for advice on what I should do and the help desk person told me to contact D-link (my router), Nintendo and Electronic Arts first. So I called all three and both EA and Nintendo gave me the ports required to play the game and also let me know that I could get help opening these ports by speaking to my ISP and tech support for D-Link.

I called D-Link and after several hours of explore options with the tech support person, we (me and the D-Link helper) came to the conclusion that the problem was either the compatibility of my router with the Wii or a problem eminating from my internet service provider. I took my Wii to a friend's house the next day (my friend uses Shaw internet) and without any port forwarding the online gaming feature on the Wii worked like magic. So, I called Novus' tech support and asked if Novus has any ports blocked and the help desk person scoffed at my question and arrogantly replied "Uhm sorry sir, but I personally know people who use the Wii online through Novus." After evading my questions he then sighed and said that he would write a note about the issue and that I would get called within the next couple days if they discovered something. This is something I was told 4 times by Novus and NOT ONCE did anyone call or suggest any half helpful advice.

At this point I gave Novus the benefit of the doubt and convinced myself that my problem was my router. So, I went to Future Shop and spent $100 on a Linksys router. I setup my router and the same problems occured. Since I was already certain that the monkeys at Novus would not help me, I spent several hours recieving help from the phenomenal customer service reps at Linksys. Once again, we exhausted all options and the tech support agent at Linksys concluded (after hearing all the details of my frustrating experiences) that my internet service provider was preventing my connection somehow. I called Novus again, and yet another tech support agent almost mockingly rejected the idea that somewhere in my connection to Novus that a vital port was being blocked. Unfortunately, after 2 weeks of frustration from the internet help desk and several hundreds of dollars (two routers, a LAN adapter for the Wii and a Wi-Fi adapter) spent on hardware i did not need, I came to the conclusion that Novus IS the problem and that not one person valued me enough to explore the matter.

Knowing that dealing with your poorly trained tech reps (do they even has technical training or are they just being paid by how quick the get off the line with each customer?) would be futile, I made the extremely wise decision to just call Telus and order their internet service. They sent me a wireless gateway modem and after I set it up, all the functions on my Wii MAGICALLY worked!! What a novelty! Imagine, you pay for a service and actually get a service out of it! I know, I know, I was amazed as well. So, this gamble with Telus (because I still wasn't positive that the problem was my ISP) confirmed to me that I was absolutely wasting my time with Novus. I could not be happier that I canceled my subscription and I am so disgusted with my experience that I will make certain that nobody I know signs with Novus.

As a matter of fact, I live in the Lore Krill housing Co-operative at 65 W. Cordova St. and our building has an exclusive contract with Novus as our cable provider. Not only this, but our building is hard wired for Novus' fibre optic internet service as well. From my understanding, after speaking with our building's manager, our cable contract with Novus is almost expired and there is some buzz that many people here are considering Shaw Cable as an alternative. Because this building is a co-op, the tenants themselves collectively decide, through committees, how our money is spent (including such decisions as who our cable provider for the building will be). Before this terrible experience that I have had with Novus, I would have been inclined to side with Novus as our building provider. Now, however, I will be participating with the finance committee here to ensure that Novus does not broadcast cable or internet in ANY of the 100 units in this building. This is such a shame because fibre optic internet IS, in fact, a great service but "fast" is completely useless when your tech support is run by arrogant, lazy and unconcerned people.

Sincerely,

Cyrus Kashani

(604) 657-7519
Apt. #307 - 65 W. Cordova St.

Back