Isn't the Wii just a game cube with a motion detectable remote?

thrill5one

thrill5one6
Dec 25, 2007
I've owned just about every gaming system besides playstation 3 and the Nintendo wii seems to be a weak novelty system. It's like a game cube with remotes that detect movement. The graphics are poor by today's HD standards and the game selection is nothing great. When I have time to play video games, its usually sports games on the xbox360 which I feel blows away the wii. I got the wii as a surprise Christmas gift from the girlfriend. I just don't understand what the big buzz about the wii is? After a couple of days of game play it is a disappointment overall.
Am I wrong? Is there something great I am missing out on?

1. The Wii is about fun, intuitive gameplay. If you don't like that, you'll obviously not like the Wii.
2. We can't change your mind. It is your opinion. (And a lot of people have the same one)
3. And your thread title obviously set you up to get flamed. The wii is obviously more then just a cube with waggle.

Oh, but get Brawl when it comes out in Feb. and then get Mario Kart when it comes out. Hopefully that changes your mind. You should also try No More Heroes when that's released. I imagine you'd like that quite a bit too.

nic7 said:
1. The Wii is about fun, intuitive gameplay. If you don't like that, you'll obviously not like the Wii.
2. We can't change your mind. It is your opinion. (And a lot of people have the same one)
3. And your thread title obviously set you up to get flamed. The wii is obviously more then just a cube with waggle.

Oh, but get Brawl when it comes out in Feb. and then get Mario Kart when it comes out. Hopefully that changes your mind. You should also try No More Heroes when that's released. I imagine you'd like that quite a bit too.
A new mario kart sounds fun.
I don't care if I get "flamed", just being honest and seeing if I am overlooking anything. Bowling and Tennis, ect are fun with friends but nothing I'd play by myself. I find xbox360 to be more entertaining overall (graphics, game play and online)

Well, it's just that the average member of the Wii community doesn't take kindly when people call their system a gamecube. Especially as the gamecube is often considered a failure by the general public.

By, I too, have a 360 and probably play it slightly more than the Wii. A very good amount of games out for it at the moment.

Isn't the XBOX 360 just an XBOX with a better graphics card and processor?

FWELR said:
Isn't the XBOX 360 just an XBOX with a better graphics card and processor?
Yes because now TVs are HD and a fast processor enables better game play. Also the xbox live makes it a big improvement.

Same thing, TV improvements are better resolution and sound.
Computer improvements are faster processors.
The wii just didn't seem to make a great leap of improvement.

Well it doesn't. The Eye Toy for PS2 used the same sort of gameplay. Just the Wiis is better because the system revolves around it. Not a giant leap but neither are the PS3 and Xbox.
However your opinion is your opinion

thrill5one said:
Yes because now TVs are HD and a fast processor enables better game play. Also the xbox live makes it a big improvement.

Same thing, TV improvements are better resolution and sound.
Computer improvements are faster processors.
The wii just didn't seem to make a great leap of improvement.
First of all, XBOX Live was available on the original XBOX and it's still the only one that costs money to play games over, $60 a year.

Next, TV's don't always improve resolution and sound. Ever heard of Digital as opposed Analog or Satelite. New, better, more original way to deliver the product.

The Wii's improvement is much better than the XBOX to the 360, and it appeals to people. Also consider the price. 250 dollars with an included game that most people only play is much more appealing than 450 dollars.

Right now, the Wii doesn't have very many amazing games.
But when stuff like SSBB and Mario kart come out.... :)

FWELR said:
First of all, XBOX Live was available on the original XBOX and it's still the only one that costs money to play games over, $60 a year.

Next, TV's don't always improve resolution and sound. Ever heard of Digital as opposed Analog or Satelite. New, better, more original way to deliver the product.

The Wii's improvement is much better than the XBOX to the 360, and it appeals to people. Also consider the price. 250 dollars with an included game that most people only play is much more appealing than 450 dollars.
Xbox live is much better on the 360 and its the best online gaming hands down.
I don't think the wii's advancement is better than the xbox but to each their own. enjoy

Back