Japanese Wii - and US games

Ryu-sama

WiiChat Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ok, so I live in the US, but I won a Wii in Japan while on vacation. Now Im in kind of a dillemma though because although I can play Japanese versions of games, I am not really good at Japanes (I only know hirigana and katakana, and my vocabulary isnt that big). Plus, importing japanese games is expensive (so I would only do it for a couple of them). Some games like Mario and Zelda I would rather have the English versions for, but there is the problem of regional locking. Are there any suggestions as to what I should do (besides the obvious and expensive option of buying an English Wii) in order to play US games on a Japanese Wii (basically, to overcome the regional locking)?

Also, do US Wii accessories like the remote and etc. work on a Japanese Wii?

Thanks,

well, maybe not, what would i do to get one and how would i go about using it?

And if mod chip is out of the question, is there another way?

Mod chips can be purchased online for self installation or you can send the system to be modified. To use it easy! All you do is insert the game and play :)

There is no other way to play import Wii games. You can use import gamecube games on the Wii with another method but I doubt you are interested.

Yeah, your Japanese Wii console cannot play US games (as a result of region locking) unless it is modded. But the accessories will work on any Wii console from any region.

So I know there are mods for US Wiis to play Japanese games, but is there vice-versa (mod for Japanese Wii to play US game? Im just wondering because its usually the other way around so my case seems to be a rare case scenario.) Or can the chip for the US Wii work in the same way for a Japanese Wii?

Plus, I was wondering, the mod chip is the only way to accomplish what i want to do, right?

Also (sorry for all the questions), how much would a chip cost roughly? Is it less expensive to just buy a US Wii?

im sorry for the double post but does anyone know?

(p.s. just bought dragon quest swords here on my last day in Japan if anyone interested in knowing about it)

The mod chips allow any system to play games from any region once they are installed and working properly.

Yes a mod chip is the only current way to accomplish what you want

The chips cost anywhere from under 10$ (if you make it yourself) to nearly 80$ for the name brand units installed by a professional.

Back