Mortal Kombat Armageddon

KPac511

WiiChat Member
Jan 13, 2007
I picked it up today. In short, I played the PS2 one a few months ago knowing I'd end up buying the Wii version. The only reviews I read online complain about the controls, but there are two things to this: 1) The Wii remote controls really AREN'T bad at all. 2) You have the choice of using the Classic Controller or GC controller if you want. I haven't tried either yet though because I was fine with the Wii remote. I played all the way through Konquest mode (that's my FOURTH TIME including the 3 times I went through it on PS2 and I'm still not sick of it) and really did the same as I did on PS2. The change in controls really doesn't make a big difference on the difficulty. It's a little more intuitive somehow to do moves but maybe I'm just noticing that because my wrists are going into the random moves I decide to follow up with.
Motor Kombat is A LOT more fun with the sideways Wii remote controls. It's kinda like ExciteTruck how it handles. I only played one course so far though.
Anyway, that's my brief review for now. If you have any questions about graphics or whatever else, post them here and I'll try to give you an answer.
In short, I'm totally totally happy with it. Lived up to the expectations I'd had for it since milking the PS2 version a couple months ago.

Nice, I watched Ed Boon playing it,

you describe an excite truck hold?
I thought it was more Nunchuck and Wiimote style?

How many characters are there?
How many fatalities per character?
Any babalities or friendships?

Thanking you please.

No babalities or friendships, unfortunately. The fatality aspect of it is the one thing I've seen heavily criticized in Armageddon but I personally love it. Basically it's create your own fatality where you do different things on the fly. When it says FINISH HIM, you start up different sequences to either rip off one arm, both arms, the head, the spine, the legs, etc. etc. and you can basically stack them up if done in the right order. So it sucks that most characters basically have the same finisher so it's not like you have the old Scorpion pulling off his mask and blowing flames type fatalities, but I love it anyway.

As far as characters... there's something around 60 I think? Every character from every game plus the Wii version has Khameleon, a female version of Chameleon. Check out this image of the character select screen (from another version of the game) on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mkacs.jpg
This is the Wii version (but with some of the characters locked apparently)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MKWiiCS.jpg
The only difference in the Wii version is that the left red jigsaw puzzle looking head (Kreate-A-Kharacter) is replaced by Khameleon, which is fine because you can only have one created fighter anyway. The character roster is probably my favorite thing about the game. I mean just look at that screen lol
Side note: unlocking those characters is easy, you just play through Konquest mode and find relics, which is my favorite part of the game.

The Excite Truck hold I was talking about is only for Motor Kombat. I THINK you can still do nunchuk and remote style but the sideways remote is just more fun since you tilt the remote to steer.

Kreate-A-Kharacter probably isn't as hashed out as most people would like but it's more than enough for me just to be able to make a fighter like that. But then you have 63 fighters to choose from, do you REALLY need *one* more? I'm not complaining, just saying it's already more than enough so I'd be happy either way.

I rented it tonight, glad i didn't buy it. It's horrible.
Terrible graphics, controls, the Mortal Kombat racing game looks worse than Mario Kart for the 64. It's just awful.

JTree! said:
I rented it tonight, glad i didn't buy it. It's horrible.
Terrible graphics, controls, the Mortal Kombat racing game looks worse than Mario Kart for the 64. It's just awful.

Damn. That's seriously pushing it. Terrible graphics? Terrible? You know you got a Wii, right? I mean the graphics aren't TERRIBLE for one thing, but then... if you're looking at games to have good graphics... why aren't you playing on an Xbox 360 then? I'm on a Wii cuz I'm past graphics and I just want fun gameplay and that's what MK has.
I love how people are so hard on Motor Kombat like it's the main part of the game, when it's just a little extra. I love how people are given extras and complain about it like they expect MORE. If it was made to look genuinely good, it'd end up being extremely cheesey. Can anyone picture the actual Mortal Kombat characters in a racing game? Come on. So it has to look cartoony. But the graphics are not N64 quality. That's really pushing it.
As far as the controls, I'm guessing you didn't give it very long. The only people I've seen complain about the controls are people who only played it 10-15 minutes. I've now tested every control type (Wii remote, GC controller, Classic Controller) and I actually prefer the Wii remote style to the standard control style. I also love that there's a practice mode for the Wii remote style where it guides you through whatever fighter's special moves.

Nice one Kpac

I'm with you, I bought the Wii for fun, not for super graphics. I have a PC for that. It's getting really tedious when people complain about them when its blantantly obvious the Wii will not compete with the 360 or PS3 in this department. How are some people so niave? :wtf:

Great review and I'm more than likely gonna buy it. Bit disappointed with the fatalities thing but can't have it all eh?

KPac511 said:
Damn. That's seriously pushing it. Terrible graphics? Terrible? You know you got a Wii, right? I mean the graphics aren't TERRIBLE for one thing, but then... if you're looking at games to have good graphics... why aren't you playing on an Xbox 360 then? I'm on a Wii cuz I'm past graphics and I just want fun gameplay and that's what MK has.
I love how people are so hard on Motor Kombat like it's the main part of the game, when it's just a little extra. I love how people are given extras and complain about it like they expect MORE. If it was made to look genuinely good, it'd end up being extremely cheesey. Can anyone picture the actual Mortal Kombat characters in a racing game? Come on. So it has to look cartoony. But the graphics are not N64 quality. That's really pushing it.
As far as the controls, I'm guessing you didn't give it very long. The only people I've seen complain about the controls are people who only played it 10-15 minutes. I've now tested every control type (Wii remote, GC controller, Classic Controller) and I actually prefer the Wii remote style to the standard control style. I also love that there's a practice mode for the Wii remote style where it guides you through whatever fighter's special moves.

Dont really think he was saying the graphics are terrible compared to an XBOX 360. Think he was complaining about the fact that it isn't pushing the Wii's capabilities, which is true of many games. I think buy now everyone is fully aware that the Wii doesnt do graphics like the XBOX 360, but we also know when we're being given some re-hashed half baked cr*p. At the end of the day people pay a lot of money for these games, so when you can see that a developer has cobbled something together it's a fair point to make when passing any comment or reviewing.

Last edited:
deeman said:
Dont really think he was saying the graphics are terrible compared to an XBOX 360. Think he was complaining about the fact that it isn't pushing the Wii's capabilities, which is true of many games.

That's a good valid point, but in the first year of any console, the games take a while to perfect the machines capabilities.
We've put up with this since Playstation one days.
I mean Ridge Racer (launch title) vs Gran Turismo.

Look at the original launch and early games on the PS2. Tekken Tag was hardly a graphical masterpiece?

I really hate the "graphics don't matter" argument. If you own a Wii, then top of the line graphics aren't your number one concern. But, some of you act as if graphics don't matter at all. They do. Nobody expects a Wii game to have 360 or PS3 level graphics. But people do, and should, expect a Wii game to have graphics that are on the level of the Wii. Bad graphics and things like bad framerate hurt one's ability to enjoy a game. They detract from the experience, whereas a game with good graphics that run smoothly add to the experience.

For instance, play a game like Metroid Prime or Resident Evil 4 during the last gen. The graphics of those games helped immerse you into them. Had the gameplay sucked then it would have just been a pretty game. Had the graphics sucked, it would have taken away from great gameplay mechanics. But, when both of those things come together you have a great game. Now look at Spidey 3 Wii. There's a game in which the graphics hurt the game. You cannot fully immerse yourself into the game because you are being distracted by bad effects.

We all marvel at the graphics when looking at early videos or screenshots of Brawl, Corruption, and Galaxy. Why? Because graphics matter. They aren't the end all be all, but they are part of the equation of a great game.

Lol Mortal Kombat has gone downhill since Mortal Kombat 2

Especially the last 3 games with there crappy graphics and rubbish fighting systems it's awful

Yeah but still... whether or not graphics are important or you're expecting much... MKA's graphics aren't terrible! lol
The only disappointment I've had with anything with graphics/video in the game is you can't switch to 16:9 but that doesn't matter for me NOW cuz I don't even have a widescreen TV but when I eventually do someday, then I'll just be momentarily bummed and I'll get over it quickly by punching a guy's head straight off his neck. :)

BTW... I posted it in another thread but G4 posted this guide to the fatalities today, I figure this thread is a good place to post it too:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/photo_g...al_Kombat_Armageddon_Fatality_List/index.html

I wasn't saying graphics are the most important part of the game. But these graphics were worse than a gamecube game. The gameplay is horrible too. The controls are a gimmick and it's just not fun.

I'm just tired of wii developers being lazy , that's all. If they spent more time on it , it could have been great. It just didn't feel like a Mortal Kombat game too me. Then again MK3 was the last game I liked of the series.

Not trying to be an idiot, I was just disappointed.

This game is great fun. I did dislike the variety of Motor Kombat, but I guess I'll say its better than the Chess and Puzzle Kombat of Deception.

As for created characters, you can create 8 total, one for each profile made. So technically, you have at least 70 characters to play with!

P.S.: the Wii remote control scheme is the best. Does anyone else do their motions toward and away from the screen instead of left to right? I do toward and away motions.

Back