My Wii Arrives Saturday - Just A Few Quick Questions

Cunni

WiiChat Member
Jan 23, 2008
Well, I have finally decided to get a Wii after trying to put myself off them since Christmas :lol:

I'm going for the £250 deal availiable at Gamestation where I will get 2 games and the basic console with 1 remote and 1 nunchuck.

Basically I have a few quick questions that I am wondering if you all out there could answer?

1.How do I go about charging the remotes?

2.Is it worth buying a wireless sensor bar?

3.I have a HD TV, will I need to buy a special HD cable to connect to the Wii, or will the one I recieve in the package transmit a HD Signal?

4.This is between myself and my brother, so I am wanting to buy another set of cables to connect the Wii to my Tv and power socket (Means we only have to move the console rather than the wires :wink: ), where can I get these from? and how much will they set me back?

Thanks all very much and I hope you will be able to assist me.

Thanks, Cunni

1. You need to buy rechargable batteries. See what I do and why.
it's the best way to ensure no one is too lazy to keep the batteries charged. and keeps the protective silicone jacket on the remote.

2. NO. The wired one is brighter IR for the remote and costs money in batteries. If you plan to travel often with your wii then it could be handy. I own a wireless sensor bar ($6.00US after sipping from ebay) because I travel often and thought the sensor bar wire looked fragile.

3. You need to buy the component cables separately. I got mine from ebay for $6.81US after shipping... I've seen posts where someone found a source for $5.60US after shipping.

4. I got my 3rd party power brick from ebay for $18.00US after shipping.

my wireless sensor bar and brick are in a travel case. when i need to hit the road i don't pack any wires, just console, remotes, and games.

Last edited:
How long do batteries normally last then mate ?

Cunni said:
Well, I have finally decided to get a Wii after trying to put myself off them since Christmas :lol:

I'm going for the £250 deal availiable at Gamestation where I will get 2 games and the basic console with 1 remote and 1 nunchuck.

Basically I have a few quick questions that I am wondering if you all out there could answer?

1.How do I go about charging the remotes?

2.Is it worth buying a wireless sensor bar?

3.I have a HD TV, will I need to buy a special HD cable to connect to the Wii, or will the one I recieve in the package transmit a HD Signal?

4.This is between myself and my brother, so I am wanting to buy another set of cables to connect the Wii to my Tv and power socket (Means we only have to move the console rather than the wires :wink: ), where can I get these from? and how much will they set me back?

Thanks all very much and I hope you will be able to assist me.

Thanks, Cunni
1. They use AA batteries.
2. Maybe, although I'd say no. The wire is really quite thin :)
3. Buy component cables for the best quality.
4. Hmmmm, I'd say contact Nintendo.

Cunni said:

If you get good Duracells then a week or more (but that's only if you play it every day)

Or get Energizer Lithiums (six times longer)

How long the batteries last depends on what batteries you use and how much you use them.

Alkalines last the longest typically (although again, you'll get variation), but you'll pay more in the long-run than getting rechargeables. With rechargeables, the more the mAh rating, the longer they will last. You can get up to 2900 mAh in AA batteries at the moment. NiMH are better than NiCad, but even NiMH will start to lose power slowly once removed from the charger, even if they aren't being used. That's why I get a good-quality NiMH AA batteries with a quality charger that can safely keep them topped-off without damaging the battery or risking fire. I leave batteries in the charger until ready to use them.

I recommend going here:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

Cunni said:
my batts last a week at most.. good enough for 1 road trip. my brother and i have allot of playtime though.

my wireless sensorbar uses 4 AAA batts.

i recommend the wired one because it's brighter and is only $9US from Nintendo's website.

i use my 3rd party power brick as my primary power and travel with the original power brick. i really wanted to be sure if the brick was cheap it wouldn't fail while i was on the road trip. the 4rd party one is holding up well.

Back