My Wii Died - Won't play disc games

Chewie

}GHS{Chewie
Jan 17, 2007
South of Seattle
So my Wii started making an awful racket when I inserted games discs, beginning last night.

By this morning, I am trying multiple different game discs and they are all kicking out the same "error reading disc, eject disc and turn off power" error message.

No dice. No luck. The thing is useless to me except for VC games now.

Thankfully, I live less than 30 miles from Redmond, Washington. Still is going to suck to have to ship it in and potentially not have it for up to 3 weeks.

Anybody else run into this problem?

My best guess is that my son putting in games discs upside down has somehow upset/damaged the disc reading laser somehow.

Anyone else?

-Chewie

putting in upside down CD's shouldn't harm the Wii that much... Considering I did it lots of times (accident, I swear) and my Wii is still alive. It just says "cannot read disk" and i just eject it, turn it right side up, and stick it back in.

like we said before, your Spinning thingy probly got damage and now it wont spin, just send it to Nintendo..they will do the Job Right

Yeah im in the process of waiting for my wii to come back. Its better than just leaving it somwhere dead.

Putting games in upside down doesn't cause problems. I did that by accident the first time I played a game on mine and it was fine...

Well, in the course of the conversation that I had with the very well-spoken and courteous customer service person I was happy to note that my Wii was 1) still under warranty and 2) my shipping label was already in the mail.

I was not entirely impressed to confirm that fact that your Wii VC downloads are totally (utterly) tied to the hardware and not your credit card or Nintendo.com user account (maybe - would be better than the hardware). I expressed my disdain for this policy and he took my customer feedback (complaints) down to give to his management.

I just don't get why Nintendo ties these downloads to the hardware and not some kind of more specific user account that is going to go down the toilet with the hardware should the hardware ever suffer a catastrophic failure.

Anyone else with me on that last point?

-Chewie

No, I don't think so. For some reason, only about three out of 12 NES games I have downloaded from the VC will save to my SD card. It simply won't copy some of the games. No rhyme or reason as to why this is, none that I can determine anyway.

Anyway, it wouldn't matter in so far as the fact remains that any VC purchases you make and subsequent downloads, are completely tied to the Wii hardware (console) and nothing else.

If you don't believe me, try calling the Nintendo Customer Service line and asking a representative what your options would be for your bought/downloaded VC games if your console completely failed and was unrepairable. Like it got hit by lightning for example. The answer you would be getting from Nintendo for your 10000 spent Wii points.... "Sorry..."

-Chewie

Altruist said:
Putting games in upside down doesn't cause problems. I did that by accident the first time I played a game on mine and it was fine...
Same here. but only ones.

Back