New Update Pwnes Modded Wii's With WiiKey's?

TexasDudeUSA

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
I was wondering if the new update pwned users with a modded Wii such as the Wii Key? Some one here who had their console modded or with a Wii Key, how was the update?

I have a Wiikey and updated a minute ago. It doesn't change anything groundbreaking. As far as I know, the only bad thing about the update is that your Wii won't read the WiiKey Setup Disc anymore.

edit: oh yeah and I heared that US Wiiowners hat to accept a disclaimer that said that Nintendo is going to be allowed to brick your modded Wii. Doesn't mean they will, though

It disabled the WiiKey Setup Disc? I forgot what use is that for? Isn't that pretty bad?

Not really, the only useful thing you could do with it was to enable region override. So as long as you don't want to play imported games, you're fine.

but what if you want to update the wiikeys firmware ? thats what the disk is for really, will it still be able to update ?

Could be bad for new wii owners that are not aware about the new firmware with it preinstalled that wish to install a wiikey and cannot set it up without the setup disc no?

yes u can still update, some1 just released wiikey update that works with version 3.0, original update still works too (you just need to boot it in gcos mode)

Piracy is illegal :lol: backups shouldnt be :p

Secumfex said:
edit: oh yeah and I heared that US Wiiowners hat to accept a disclaimer that said that Nintendo is going to be allowed to brick your modded Wii. Doesn't mean they will, though

Now why would they add this LEGAL disclaimer? Oh, maybe to cover their asses when they decide to brick all wii's with modchips in them :) It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN they'll decide to eliminate modded wii's.

Yuu said:
Now why would they add this LEGAL disclaimer? Oh, maybe to cover their asses when they decide to brick all wii's with modchips in them :) It's not a question of IF, it's a question of WHEN they'll decide to eliminate modded wii's.
Yup. They're following Microsoft's lead of blocking mod owners. They will most definitely use their power to stop people with modded units. Who knows if they'll actually permanently damage the system, or just cripple it while the mod is installed. They'll probably wait a while longer to throw the switch and activate the "kill" to let more people get the mods and "kill" more units.

You can definitely count on Nintendo's upcoming big hits to have and require the v3.0 firmware built into the game, like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy. Where you can't even play the game without v3.0. Since a lot of people are waiting for and will get SMG, they will also get v3.0 and will also get Nintendo's power to view/detect/cripple their system if they're using a mod to play the v3.0+ games.

Once they get their mod detection rolling (probably an interactive program in v3.0+ that they can activate at any time), it means there will only be a certain amount of released games up to a point that will be playable on a modded system (probably with v2.2 or lower). Until someone can crack/mod the firmware, Nintendo will put a stop to any pirating of their near future games. I wonder if 3rd party games will have/require the v3.0+ firmware embedded.

Jesus! I hope not! Im on version 3.0e and so far (touch wood) have not had any problems!

Missing Solder Points

I only have 5 Solder points. What do I do now? I do have a newer Wii System. Excuse my image, I do not have a functioning digicam at the second.

My Wii Board

You have to "cut legs" which means that you cant quicksolder the Wiikey on it. The only way to solder it is by using thin cables.

i can tell this modded wii desttruction will come when ssbb does. Every wii owner is bound to get it, and with its online features...ur modded wiis could be dust before u even get to have a wank over zero suit samus!

just be careful

Back