Newbie here remote issues

michaelt

WiiChat Member
Dec 31, 2009
Ok I am a fairly "electronics literate" Dad and we bought a Wii for the kids (and us! LOL) from "Santa".

Installing it was so SIMPLE and the play is great. We quickly realized that we needed a second WII mote (and probably and 3rd and 4th).

I found the NYKO Wand on sale at GameStop with the nunchuk for only $39. I bought the pink one since my youngest daughter loves pink and we felt having multiple colors would help on "identifying" which one is which.

After a little playing around we found how to "sync" it with the console.

The only issue is this.

HOW DO I TURN IT OFF???!! If you use the #1 mote (genuine Nintendo) to turn off the console all 4 lights on the "pink" remote turn on and STAY ON. It does not seem to turn off?

I am sure this is not good for the batteries, how do I make it turn off with the console and be "synced" when I turn it back on?

I usually follow the "real men do not need instructions" rule but I can't seem to find specific info on this even when I read the manuals!

I dunno how to turn the Wii-motes off, other than to turn the Wii itself off. If the light is red on the Wii, my remotes won't turn/stay on, it has to be on stand-by mode (orange light) or on (green).

Or you could just do what I do and that's to take one of the batteries out of each Wii-mote. I dunno for certain if the Wii-motes drain batteries when off like the rest of my electronics (namely my mp3 player), but I do this as a precaution so I'm not stuck recharging all the time anyway. I even unplug the Wii to save power (I'm kinda uber-green) and I've never had to re-sync after either.

I know I technically didn't answer your question, but I hope this helps some (at least until someone with the real answer chimes in).

I dunno how to turn the Wii-motes off, other than to turn the Wii itself off. If the light is red on the Wii, my remotes won't turn/stay on, it has to be on stand-by mode (orange light) or on (green).

Or you could just do what I do and that's to take one of the batteries out of each Wii-mote. I dunno for certain if the Wii-motes drain batteries when off like the rest of my electronics (namely my mp3 player), but I do this as a precaution so I'm not stuck recharging all the time anyway. I even unplug the Wii to save power (I'm kinda uber-green) and I've never had to re-sync after either.

I know I technically didn't answer your question, but I hope this helps some (at least until someone with the real answer chimes in).

That's of some help.

The weird thing is if I turn off the console by using the NINTENDO WII mote the "real" Wiimote turns off (no lights whatsoever). The led's on the Nyko mote go from #2 on to ALL ON and stay that way?

I am wondering if what I need to do is set the Console to turn off completely (red light) instead of the standby mode. I will try that.

Taking the batteries out is NOT an option as I do not want the kids to be pulling on and off the soft covers on the remotes.

Nyko is of no help either as their "support" (or lack there of) has NOTHING about this issue. Overall the "technical support" for the WII is VERY lacking!

Everything seems to be geared to "gamers" who have some inate understanding of these things. Great for a 15 yr old who got one for Xmas but it sucks for a Dad who needs to set this up for a 10 and 5 yr old.

In all honesty my neighbors son has an Xbox and it was SO MUCH EASIER to deal with in regards to the little details. I think Nintendo and Nyko own battery companies LOL!

Ok I am a fairly "electronics literate" Dad and we bought a Wii for the kids (and us! LOL) from "Santa".

Installing it was so SIMPLE and the play is great. We quickly realized that we needed a second WII mote (and probably and 3rd and 4th).

I found the NYKO Wand on sale at GameStop with the nunchuk for only $39. I bought the pink one since my youngest daughter loves pink and we felt having multiple colors would help on "identifying" which one is which.

After a little playing around we found how to "sync" it with the console.

The only issue is this.

HOW DO I TURN IT OFF???!! If you use the #1 mote (genuine Nintendo) to turn off the console all 4 lights on the "pink" remote turn on and STAY ON. It does not seem to turn off?

I am sure this is not good for the batteries, how do I make it turn off with the console and be "synced" when I turn it back on?

I usually follow the "real men do not need instructions" rule but I can't seem to find specific info on this even when I read the manuals!

Good thing you got a wii, props. Welcome to wiichat, have a nice new years today.:). I usually take out the batteries. That work for me..

Back