Ngamer Brawl Review: 9.3

zapasant93 said:
brawl is going to be a good game, but not to be the hishest rated game of all time.

btw, fun fact.

i belive the position for highest rated ign game belongs to mgs3 SE who got a 9.8
yeah but even mario galaxy got better scores but who cares its just one review cant change anything about it.

good review.

The arrival, too, of a few wildcards equally baffle and delight - we have no idea if Olimar is the best thing since sliced Pikmin or a total crash-landing of a character. Shame, though, to find the ranks of hard-fought-for secret characters populated by clones, or for the Melee faces that didn't make the Brawl cut.

hahaha

hmm.. after reading this review im just worried about the controls. maybe now i should invest in a gamecube controller.

zapasant93 said:
btw, fun fact.

i belive the position for highest rated ign game belongs to mgs3 SE who got a 9.8

actually the highest score ign has ever given is a 10 to zelda: oot

also i just read this review by ngamer and was going to post it but im always too late.

Hmm I'm actually looking forward to Supspace. Even if it's repetitive it'll be refreshing to do a platformer with smash chars. I got a little of it from Melee (the Zelda stage) and I beg for more : ) co-op within it is a plus.

Some part of the review I didn't really get. It was sorta like a flaw was pointed out but then taken back. Like "Repetition is Brawl's only real crime... After all, how do you revolutionize... a perfect formula? The answer is beyond us"

As far as controller goes I'm surprised SSBB went as far as to include nunchuck+wiimote and wiimote alone. I would've thought it would naturally require either GC or the classic one.

Hmm it's like they're trying too hard to find every flaw that it has...I dunno I think the review is alright though.

This guy's review is flat-out ANNOYING. He acts like he was expecting this silver platter full of glowing, shimmering ecstasy, then got disappointed because it turned out to just be Smash Bros Brawl instead...
All of his complaints are minor, inconsequential bitchings instead of real, honest complaints. He both praises the game then backhandedly criticizes it for not measuring up to some incomprehensible standard.
"Stubbornly" sits only on the Wii? Is this guy on crack?? That's not "stubborn", that's Nintendo doing what Nintendo does best: deliver the GOODS, to their Nintendo console EXCLUSIVELY.
This guy's an idiot who is full of himself all the way through, and doesn't balance out his ridiculous criticisms with honest praise for what the game does great. He mentions all the awesome features in brief, under his breath tones, then goes on and on like he's some clever writer thinking deeply about the game's qualities when he's really just too busy being "anti", because he knows this game is going to be wildly and happily received by millions of people, and some just can't let a great thing happen, they have to be the first to fire off some unsubstantiated attack on problems that don't exist.
OK, so it got a 9.3
Sure as hell didn't sound like it from his "I'm so awesome" tone though.
This guy has NO credibility with me, because ANY game that gets so shoddily reviewed with such lazy writing and criticism cannot be properly analyzed by the reader.
If it's not a balanced take on the relative strengths and weaknesses, then WHO CARES?

And to the OP for snarkily adding "maybe Brawl ain't so great"...
Way to buy into this idiots ego-fantasy...
Ergghhh...

Transfixed said it better than anyone else. The guy should be grateful the 2005 era of shovelware games is over. Anyone remember 2005? I do. Long live the new era. I've been going to Gametrailers for reviews. They match my views on games more.

PrinceLink said:
Brawl is close to perfect but is not personally i would give it a 9.1 due to it's online play problems but that faces all wii games, changed my mind 9.3 is good and didnt like how tey gave it a 10 in nintendo magizine too when they scarsly talked about a few mistakes a 10 game has only 1 minor mistake or none,

Does anyone have a list to the most top rated games in history or the top games of the nexgen consoles?

umm BWii has perfect multiplayer no lag AT ALL

Considering we all know beyond all shadows of doubt that this game is an instant killer-app regardless of what the column writers of these magazines are paid to say.
(that statement's based off the success and the amazing offerings the series has given us thus far);
I find these kinds of articles unnecessary.

The reviewer (if that's even the correct title to give him/her/them) obviously prefers the power house machines of sony and micro soft over the wii.
He even mentioned the inclusion of more non-nintendo exclusive characters as if that was one of the biggest reasons to even glance at the game.

So to then go on and whine because the wii lacks the bells and whistles of XBL or Home is pointless. Anyone who dares call themselves a console gamer in this current generation knows already the advantages and shortcomings of all three services.

The comments about lack of voice chat were also not needed, as well as the gripes over the platforming aspect of SSE being more attuned to Kirby's world then Mario's. That was a matter of his personal preference and had no place in an article in a gaming magazine.
Since many kids look at these reviews to judge whether to purchase a game or not, he has no right to unfairly subject us to his personal beefs with the game when we ourselves have no way to judge if it's worth out money.

I'm sure if the game has appeared on one of the other two consoles with "conventional" controls, and a roster cram packed with multi platform mascots as well as the respective exclusives to both companies,
(i.e: Jakk & Daxter, Master Chief, Kratos, etc.)
Then he would have been more than pleased. But since he must have drawn the short straw and gotten stuck reviewing the "kiddy system"'s new title instead of the latest and greatest for the ps3 or 360 we have to listen to his biased gripes.

I'm not saying brawl deserves a 10 across the boards. I say it deserves no rating what so ever! Don't judge things based on the word of someone else, form your own opinions ad never believe things until you see them or experience them for yourself.
No one should care what this guy has to say about the game or anyone else for that matter. If you find the game fun and enjoyable, then by all means enjoy it regardless of what anyone else has to say.

Last edited:
Damn. I buy NGamer mag, but I must have missed that issue...
Who did that review? 'coz they are stupid.
When it actually comes out everywhere, and then you can make comments.
And if they wanted a revolutionary new game, brawl wasn't going to be it. Brawl has been around for a while now, and you can't really revolutionize something so simple, a fighting platformer. You can only change so much before it isn't smash bros. anymore....
Waaay too critical...
Does anyone DISAGREE AND SAY THEY ARE RIGHT????
Because that is stupid.

Rise up and destroy the bringers of bad news, fellow peoples who always take things too far!

zapasant93 said:
brawl is going to be a good game, but not to be the hishest rated game of all time.

btw, fun fact.

pokemons on gameboys got a 10
halo 2 got a 9.8, or was it 9.9???

and zelda OOT got a 10 i believe.

Transfixed said:
This guy's review is flat-out ANNOYING. He acts like he was expecting this silver platter full of glowing, shimmering ecstasy, then got disappointed because it turned out to just be Smash Bros Brawl instead...
All of his complaints are minor, inconsequential bitchings instead of real, honest complaints. He both praises the game then backhandedly criticizes it for not measuring up to some incomprehensible standard.
"Stubbornly" sits only on the Wii? Is this guy on crack?? That's not "stubborn", that's Nintendo doing what Nintendo does best: deliver the GOODS, to their Nintendo console EXCLUSIVELY.
This guy's an idiot who is full of himself all the way through, and doesn't balance out his ridiculous criticisms with honest praise for what the game does great. He mentions all the awesome features in brief, under his breath tones, then goes on and on like he's some clever writer thinking deeply about the game's qualities when he's really just too busy being "anti", because he knows this game is going to be wildly and happily received by millions of people, and some just can't let a great thing happen, they have to be the first to fire off some unsubstantiated attack on problems that don't exist.
OK, so it got a 9.3
Sure as hell didn't sound like it from his "I'm so awesome" tone though.
This guy has NO credibility with me, because ANY game that gets so shoddily reviewed with such lazy writing and criticism cannot be properly analyzed by the reader.
If it's not a balanced take on the relative strengths and weaknesses, then WHO CARES?

And to the OP for snarkily adding "maybe Brawl ain't so great"...
Way to buy into this idiots ego-fantasy...
Ergghhh...

/fail

You know what I just realized? Ngamer gave No More Heroes a 9.4. Which obviously means Ngamer feels that No More Heroes is better than Brawl.

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
umm BWii has perfect multiplayer no lag AT ALL

Plus, the game actually tracks your stats and has a ranking system. Although, I think SSBB should be more fun; but the online could have been SOOOOO much better with no more effort on the part of the developers (e.g., stats tracking, taunts in random games, etc.).

And since when was 9.3 a bad score? I think the reviewer hit it head on. Personally, I don't see how a game that is basically Melee with some (admittedly good) additions, improved graphics, and horribly handicapped/half-arsed online (although, better than nothing) could receive more than a 9.5.

If you disagree with this reviewer, prepare for a avalanche of disappointment as most reviews will probably echo what he has said with similar scores.

Still, I don't see what there is to be disappointed about?

Last edited:
Back