Ouch!

OldSchoolGamer

WiiChat Member
Jan 23, 2007
:devil:

Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's largest maker of video-game players, may report third-quarter profit fell 50 percent after its flagship PlayStation 3 lost market share to Nintendo Co.'s Wii.

Losses from games probably drove net income down to 84.1 billion yen ($691 million) in the three months ended Dec. 31, from a record 168.9 billion yen a year earlier, according to the median estimate of five analysts surveyed by Bloomberg. Sales at Tokyo-based Sony, which reports earnings tomorrow, probably rose 9.6 percent to 3 trillion yen.

The results may highlight Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer's failure to fend off Nintendo, whose $250 Wii console outsells the PlayStation 3 by two-to-one. Sony may still exceed its full-year profit target because of a weaker yen, sales of Bravia televisions and growth at its movie unit.

"A drop in third-quarter results is largely expected on the games division. There's no surprise unless the company further reduces its profit forecasts,'' said Mitsushige Akino, who oversees $468 million in assets at Ichiyoshi Investment Management Co. in Tokyo. Akino doesn't recommend investors buy Sony stock "until the company improves its earnings.''

----------

After botching the PS3's debut with production delays and cutting the price to compete against cheaper Wii and Xbox players, Sony will probably lose 191.9 billion yen from games this fiscal year, compared with profit of 8.7 billion yen the previous year, according to the Bloomberg survey.

It would have been worse if they didn't sell so many PS2's. Sony will probably make a lot of money in 2007. But it'll be from their other products. I still have plenty of PS2 games I want to buy in the near future. Is Spider Man 3 owned by Sony? If so they'll make a fortune off that too.

Lol if it weren't for movies like Spidey Sony would be in whole world of pain right about now. With that said if 2007 turns out to be a horrible year in the gaming industry for they might just scrap PS3 all together. Because they can't lower the price for at least 4 years correct? And sales of the 360 and Wii are just going to continue to grow or at least stay steady so they should be really worried. And yeah 50% is hot...:devil:

They won't abandon it. No game system in history gets abandoned after it's first year of being launched. I think? The Phantom doesn't count, it was a fraud system. At the same time it may cost Sony more money to keep the system floating.

How would you like to make a fortune on PSP sales and have most of that money go towards paying PS3 debt? If Sony plans for the long term they should still be around with their 1 million owners for some time. But they NEED to stop losing exclusive game rights. Unreal is going to the 360 and PC.

Last edited:
What happened to Sega and Dreamcast? I know they were knocked out of the gaming industry but how long did that take?

Back